Thanks to everyone who sent me information about Eddie Bowman, aka Chester
Drawers. I found 3 or 4 targets about him in the archives, but no hit so
here is what I received (preceded by my original target) for future
reference!
TARGET>>I just had a phone call from a publisher telling me that Eddie
Bowman will be in my area in March and asking me if we wanted him to come do
a program for us. For only $100.00 I'm thinking I can't go wrong, but....
What do you know about his program and would you recommend him?  Thanks!
We had Eddie Bowman in January at a 3-5 campus.  The
kids had a good time and I had teachers tell me that they enjoyed him too.
His presentation lasts about 30 min and then he sells his wares.  It
stresses doing the right thing and staying away from drugs and doing your
best with
reading and writing.  He doesn't preach.  He is very nice and the people
that you talk to on the phone are really upbeat and very nice and helpful.
He sings his songs ie: Gilbert the Goose, Sophie the snowflake, Gravy on a
bucket lid, and Silly Dog.
We had a visit from Eddie Bowman (aka Chester Drawers) in October.  The
students loved it.  However, I wouldn't classify his program as a
traditional author visit.  He spoke to the students about drugs,
self-esteem, etc. and sang several of his songs.  I feel it was worth the
$100 fee.

When you book his visit, you will receive copies of his books (with music on
the back) and a cassette tape of the songs.  I would recommend that your
students learn the songs. Our music teacher was wonderful and taught all of
the songs to the kids.  I've heard that at other schools, the librarian has
played the cassette during library class.   The visit would not have been
nearly as successful if the students weren't able to join in when "Chester"
sings.

The only negative part of the visit was the lack of student response to
purchasing his books.  We sent home information two or three different times
before his visit, but only 5 or 6 out of 400+ students bought anything.  Mr.
Bowman was not very happy with the turn out.
Nancy, we had Eddie Bowman last year.  I thought he was corny...but the kids
did seem to enjoy the program and Mr. Bowman was very nice.  We are in a
small, low economic area so probably didn't have as many books sold as in
larger schools ...but think we sold over $100 worth.  I purchased hardback
copies of his books for the library and the kids kept them checked out.

He sends a packet of info. ahead of time, including paperback copies of his
books which I used a week or two before he arrived.  He sends a cassette
tape on which he sings the stories in the books.  The kids picked up on it
and was able to sing some along with him.

I would probably invite him back if the chance arose.
Eddie Bowman came to our school year before last.  I don't know if he does
the same presentation.  Before he came, he sent paperback copies of his
books which were really songs along with a tape of him singing the songs. He
wanted the students to be able to sing the songs when he came.  They were
catchy songs: Gravy on a Bucket Lid; Suzy Snowflake; My Dog and Gilbert the
Goose. His costume was mismatched clothes.  He told some jokes. He worked in
the "Say No to Drugs" and had the students help him sing.  Our students
enjoyed most of his humor. We are a K-4 school. He wanted to set up a
display of his books and other items that he sells, but our district has a
policy against selling anything at school, so he just left order blanks that
the students could ask for if they wished to order something.  I don't think
any of our students ordered anything.  He also gave the library paperback
copies of 3 of his chapter books.  All of his
books are on the Accelerated Reading quiz list.
We had Eddie Bowman for the same reason you mentioned.  He is country in
every sense of the word.  Lower grade children liked him but the upper grade
students were bored to tears.  He can come so cheaply because he sells his
products while he is there.  I don't think I would ever have him again.
Eddie Bowman came to our school a few years back. He was formally a
"entertainer" (with guitar and singing) in Branson,Mo. We had him 4 or 5
years ago and at that time for having him we received his 2 books free in
the library (they were paperbacks) I did not realize that or I
would not have had him because we do not check out paperbacks. The kids
really enjoyed him...he dresses real hoakie colored 2 or 3 teeth black, sang
well. Then his company wanted to have a book selling time in the library.
MANY "Silly dog" and "Sophie the snowflake" (his 2 titles) were sold because
of the catchie tune. However, hearing it sung or hummed almost got to me
'cause there were 700 or more students in that school...and I like music and
like to sing as well.  I guess what I'm telling you is I wouldn't "pay" to
have him.  Maybe, have him if you get FREE HARDBACKS for the library.  His
company
seemed a bit pushie to me.
--------------------------------------------------------Eddie Bowman visited
our elementary school this fall, but I didn't get to see the presentation.
His books are self published, not exceptional in any way. BUT, the kids
loved his clown persona "Chester Drawers".   and his
books (that he send to the school free in the media pack he sent to prepare
for his visit) are checked out regularly.  Of course, we're way back in the
sticks... so this was a major cultural event for these kids....

I felt very ram-rodded into having him come.  His schedulers told me the
principal had scheduled him, they told the principal I had scheduled him!!
Although in the end I really think the principal had tentatively said 'in
the fall' to put them off...

Nancy Dickinson, Librarian
Hillsboro Elem. School
Hillsboro, TN 37342