Greetings!

I forgot to put a subject heading on my last email.

I am chairing a computer policy committee to address some "issues" that have
cropped up.  These are some of the things that we have to address.  Can you
help me out with some opinions?  I checked the archives using search terms
such as "computer use policy", "computers in the library", and "computer
rules".Students downloading pages and pages (a book).  Should there be a
limit?

Are students allowed to download and print non-curricular items?

Should students be allowed to access "free" email accounts such as Yahoo or
Hotmail on school computers?

Can AOL "Instant Messenger" accounts be allowed on school computers?

Can staff be allowed to use computers for personal use as long as it does
not interfere with instruction time (for example, checking email,stocks
[snicker, snicker], Internet surfing?  Does this need to be spelled out in
the rules?

Does there need to be a separate set of computer use rules for staff and
students?

What are the ramification or penalties for violators of these policies?

What time does the school "shut down" the computers?  Should students be
allowed access (without staff) after school?

Should computers be turned off at night, or should they remain on?

Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks.

Camille Atkins
Head Librarian
Highland School
Warrenton, Va. 20186