You might also want to know about the charming =ABC for
Book Collectors= by John Carter, in many editions, most
recently in 2000 in paperback. While its focus is on book
collecting, each part of the book: dust jacket, verso, recto,
half-title, and so on, is clearly labeled on the book, making it
an excellent tool. I used it all the time when I taught in
library school.
GraceAnne

Doug and Jennifer Sloan wrote on 3 Feb 2002, about Parts of a Book

> Wow!  I want to thank all of you that sent me responses to
> my "silly" = question:-)  As there were quite a few people
> who asked me to post a = hit, here it is.  So many kind
> people sent responses that I have tried = to only list those
> with different information: These sites below clearly define
> verso as the reverse of the copyright = page. The page is
> called the verso. Have a look at these sites to look up
> other technical terms.
> http://www.lib.auburn.edu/madd/docs/glossary/
> http://vax.wcsu.edu/library/odlis.html
>
> that particular page is called the "verso" of the title
> page.  Remember though, many of the recently published books
> now have the copyright information in the very back of the
> book, especially English = publications.
>
> Book blurb- front inside cover
> Author blurb-back inside cover
>
> My LMS teacher referred to the title page as the "recto" and
> the page = behind it as the "verso"
>
> I usually tell the kids it's the "verso page"--that's what
> it is = officially, especially if it's on the back (the
> reverse) of the title page.  = Sometimes all the copyright
> info is called CIP (copyright in publishing, in press or =
> in print, something like that) especially when it's prepared
> by the = publisher not a real cataloger.  I tell them that
> sometimes, especially in very modern = style picture books,
> the verso is found at the end of the book.
>
> The versa. You should see the versa in the book A Poke in
> the I.  It is = a cool way to introduce the page in class
> because it is cleverly done.=20
>
> The front is the title page and the reverse is the verso.
> These are usually referenced in cataloging as T.p. and T.p.
> verso
>
> My editor husband assures me it is simply called the
> copyright page
>
> The backside of the title page is called the verso; I know
> this from = working=20 as a cataloger.  I don't remember
> what you call the last page of the = book if=20 the
> copyright is hidden there, as it is in some new picture
> books.
>
> Usually the copyright information is found on the verso of
> the title = page (verso: latin, I believe, for back)
>
> Isn't it called CIP, Cataloging in Print? Or does that just
> refer to the = bottom and back of the title page if the
> cataloging info is there?
>
> Thanks again to all of you...
>
> Jennifer Sloan
> Library Science Student, USF Tampa
> Port Charlotte, FL
> dougs@ewol.com

GraceAnne A. DeCandido
Blue Roses Consulting ~ Writing ~ Editorial ~ Web Content ~ New York City ~
ladyhawk@well.com http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html
What's Ladyhawk reading now?
http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/books.html

To be involved with books is to live at the heart of light.
Mary Cantwell