I am looking for books that take place in states. I prefer fiction. Maybe if I
explain what I'm doing my request will make more sense :)

Some of you read about my state postcard project with Bailey the bookworm
puppet. I had a wonderful response from members of this listserv to send a
postcard from their state. (The only state I'm lacking is West Virginia, if
you live here PLEASE contact me). The whole idea of my project is to do a unit
during my 8 weeks of student teaching at the elementary level. Grades K-2 come
in to the library once a week for story time. I'm will be reading them
Bailey's postcards, tracking his trip on a giant map, and reading them stories
about the state(s) he's visiting.

So, gathering stories about the states is Phase 2 of my project. Since I'm
reading these books at storytime I prefer them to be fiction. I started
looking up books at my university's curriculum library last night, I can tell
it's going to be tedious so I'm asking for your help.

I need a cute book about traveling. Here are some titles I've come across...
Henry Hikes to Fitchburg
Alice Ramsey's Grand Adventure
Lizard Sees the World
My Sister's Rusty Bike
A Road Might Lead to Anywhere
Your Best Friend, Kate
Can anyone comment on these, I haven't actually looked at any of them yet

Here are some state books I've come across...
Roughing it on the Oregon Trail
Everglades (FL)
A Day on the Boat With Captain Betty (FL)
Beezy & Funnybone (FL)
Appalachia
West by Covered Wagon
Can anyone comment on these, I haven't looked at these either.

So, if you can think of a book that would fit into this project can you please
tell me the title AND the state it is about.

FYI- I did copy the Book List No. 1 + 2 off the Read Across America web site.
They have some great ideas but I've found some of the books to be at the YA
level and I need elementary level K-2.

Thanks so much!

Shannon Murphy
smm2p@mtsu.edu