Earlier this week when my brain was still numb from vacation I pulled some
stories about now to share with my first and seconds. One of the children
noticed that I had four Caldecott titles out - Snowy Day, The Big Snow, Owl
Moon, and Snowflake Bentley.
The lesson has evolved (I have ten first and ten second grades, so I repeat
my lesson too many times) into talking about Caldecott medal books, now they
are chosen, and the different illustrations in each of the four snow titles.
(Did you know the illustrations in Snowflake Bentley are done with
woodblock prints? The Big Snow is watercolors, The Snowy Day is collage, and
Owl Moon is pen and ink with a watercolor wash)
I add that the new Caldecott will be announced on Jan. 21, a day we have off
for Martin Luther King Jr. birthday, so perhaps they will see the new book
announced on the news.
Then we read Snowflake Bentley, adding some of the information in the side
bars into the story. Then we visit the website
http://www.snowflakebentey.com and look at the snowflakes.
The kids are just amazed at the snowflake photos. I am,  too!

Hope this helps you.

Karen DeFrank, LMS
Dorothy L. Bullock Elementary School
Glassboro, NJ