At a School Leadership Team meeting this afternoon, we were asked if our
school would like to help pilot a server-based computer program called
Reading Plus that will diagnose and prescribe remediation activities for
students having trouble reading .  The student takes a diagnostic test using
a pair of "smart glasses" and simple reading selections.  This tool checks
for patterns of eye movement associated with low reading skills.  Students
with problems are prescribed 15 minutes per day of computer time doing
reading exercises designed to correct the inefficient eye movement and to
increase fluency.  Apparently, the program costs about $12,000, which seems
very pricey.  I'd like to know if this program is really effective, or just
another one of "those programs" that promises a lot, but doesn't deliver
even half the results advertised.   If you have been involved in this
program, or have seen it in action, I would love to hear from you.  This is
a huge investment, and any input from someone familiar with the program's
effectiveness would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

Judy Self, Media Coordinator
Gamewell Elementary
2904 Morganton Blvd.
Lenoir, NC  28645