Thanks for the suggestions...A fw people wanted a hit posted.  I haven't
fixed it yet and decided after three days that it really wasn't in my job
desc....I was trying to help a friend...so I called in the tech guy so that
I could actually get some work done!:)

"Dangerously Low on Resources" means exactly what it sounds like- Word is a
resource-intensive program, and if you haven't cold-booted lately, that
could be the problem.

If you *have* shut off the computer and it still does that, then you're
start>programs>startup area to see what's being called up at first.
****
Some program is hung up in the background and is using up "resources."
****
dangerously low in resources means she doesn't have enough memory space to
open that big program.  Could be her hard drive isn't big enough or she
needs to install more memory useable for the program
****
You might have to delete some programs. Sounds like your drive is too full
for the program to work correctly.
****
How much MEMORY she has available? Not hard disk space. Usually this happens
when she tries to open TOO MANY programs at once. Have her MAKE SURE there
is NO OTHER program using the computer: Internet, mail programs, etc.
****
If they've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Word and it still won't open,
it's probably a resource hogging program somewhere in the background. I
would use "Ctrl-Alt-Del" then shut down every thing except "Explorer" and
"Systray." This will take a few minutes as you can only shut down one
program at a time using this method. If Word then starts, that was the
problem. Next to identify the offending program, reboot the computer and go
to "Ctrl-Alt-Del" again, this time shutting down one program at a time and
trying to open Word after each program is shut down. When Word opens, you've
found the program and can adjust it to fix the problem. These instructions
are for Windows 95/98/ME, if you're using NT or 2000 it is similar, but I
believe you have to choose program manager after "Ctrl-Alt-Del." I do this
on our school computers (I'm home now) and don't remember the name, but
pretty sure it's the middle choice on the bottom of the pop-up window.

Maureen Mooney, LMS
mmooney@saintgregorysschool.org
Saint Gregory's School for Boys
Loudonville, NY