I've mentioned earlier this year about our new reading program which basically
consists of every person in high school reading the same
short story during the same time period with a short discussion session afterward.
This is working very well, and we've been given a large
grant $25,000!!! to continue this program and extend it through the 7-9th grades
(junior high building).

I'm a bit concerned about this extension into junior high for fear it will somehow
diminish the effect it's having on our high school students.
Right now, it's a rather novel approach that they enjoy, but if students have
already done this for three years before reaching our school, it
will be "old hat" for them.

Can you come up with any other methods or ways to have a somewhat unstructured
reading program for the junior high? They already
have Reading Counts, but they need something to read during our Reading Is Power
time (that's the high school title - all students, junior
and senior alike go to groups of 16-18 students at that time).

Thanks for any help. I've been beating my head against the wall on this...I'm proud
of our program but rather selfish about it and would like
 something a bit different for the lower grades...

De Queen High School
1803 W. Coulter Drive
De Queen, AR 71832
stewmanj@leopards.k12.ar.us