Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much to everyone who responded so promptly to my request for
fiction books that take place in Central or South America for 6th graders.
Some LM_NETters asked me to post a hit, so here it is.

a couple years ago we did Reading Around the World at our school and I
created book lists & web sites for each region. My personal favorite is Grab
Hands and Run by Frances Temple.
You can find others listed on my Central and South America Resources web
page.
http://www.websterschools.org/classrooms/state_library/SouthAm.html
              One of the sections on the page has links to a couple of book
lists (Latin America and Caribbean)
    Other titles on my own list include:
El Dorado Adventure by Alexander
A Wave in her pocket by Lynn Joseph
Secret of the Andes by Ann Nolan Clark
Morning Girl by Michael Dorris
Santiago's Silver Mine by Eleanor Clymer
A Taste of Salt-Frances Temple
       Perhaps there are some new ones. I know of one about Mayan culture,
but it's at school and I can't remember the title.

These titles were taken from our state's union catalog.  I have not read
them, but if you don't find anything else, you may want to look for reviews,
or perhaps your teachers may have read them.  They are all young adult
titles.  Reading levels may be lower than sixth grade.

Paulsen, Gary.  The Amethyst Ring (1983)
Blair, David Nelson.  Fear the Condor. (1992)
Kendall, Sarita.  Ransom for a River Dolphin (1993)
Clark, Ann Nolan.  Secret of the Andes (1980)

You may find something useful on my Reading Lists site.  There is a list of
South American novels:
http://nancykeane.com/rl/203.htm

Look into And Now Miguel, Shadow of the Bull, and Secret of the Andes.  (I'm
sorry, I can't pull up author's names right now!) You also might want to
look at Esperenza Rising.  It starts out in Mexico, but the family moves to
California during the course of the novel.  I'm sure there are others, but
these came to mind immediately.

You also might try going to Carol Hurst's website.  I think you can do a
search by topic and find her reviews plus classroom activities to go along
with the titles.  www.carolhurst.com

We used The Cay, and it was an awesome experience for the kids.

Kimberly Jayne, Elementary SLMS
Cutchogue East Elementary School
Cutchogue, NY
kajaynes@hotmail.com