We print out a copy of the AR title lists in our library by title (ABC
order), Author (ABC order) and reading level. It helps us in working with
the collection, as well as gives the kids an easy way to check whether a
book is AR if the computers are all in use. In another library, we also
printed out the point level, as some classes were required to read a certain
number of points per quarter.
Working extensively with AR title lists, I've come across what seems to be
some discrepancies in the title list. I'm wondering if it's lack of
knowledge on my part, or AR inconsistencies.
We have both Spanish and English titles. Sometimes "the" in Spanish is
ignored, other times it isn't. I'm trying to decide if there's any pattern
(la or el, ignored, las or los not?)
Also, any ideas why Berenstein Bears is both B. Bears, and Berenstein Bears?
That means there are TWO areas to teach children to look for the test, not
one.

Another question is regarding separate words. For example: My Toy  before
Mysterious, and I Play before Icarus
Are there some unique librarian alphabetizing rules I'm not aware of?
Do you ignore all the rest of the letters if a word is abbreviated (like
St., MT., B., etc?)
 I was told that McD in the past would have been placed in the MacD also,
that you didn't ignore the letters, but that now it was placed in the Mcd
spot. True?
Do any of you know of a website that lists alphabetizing rules for
librarians, or a wonderful source book for it?

 Also, my copy of the Dewey Decimal System is woefully out of date.
Recommended books to replace it (with source, if possible), or websites that
could give me some of the updated changes would be wonderful.

Thanks for your help. It's wonderful to have such an awesome collection of
library information available through you all.

Sue Adams
Library Aide
Saddle Mountain Intermediate
Mattawa, WA 99349