   A donor visited our school.  She had a companion with her who was
interested in the school's history.  We had recently had a writer who
had written about some aspect of the school that the companion was
interested in, too.  After that author's visit, he signed 5 copies of
his book which I had purchased and processed for our school library.
The outreach person came to the library and demanded that I give her two
autographed, processed copies of this book for her to give as gifts to
this potential donor.

   Would you have shared my reluctance to do this?  I offered to buy
two copies of the book for her but she wanted it immediately.  Today, my
boss came in and took the two copies and said I have to be more flexible
and work as a team.  He first asked: "What would u do for half a million
dollars?"  I think that giving away our books is wrong!  I think it
gives the public the wrong idea if they see a book with our library
stamps on it.  The boss says her public doesn't think that way.  I'm
really upset but can't put it into words for a memo to explain why this
is the wrong thing to do.

   Do you agree?  Can you help me express this?  Do u disagree?  Can
you explain why its OK to do it?  I don't want to be naive, either.

   thanks for any help

Roselle Weiner
Library/LRC Coordinator
American School for the Deaf