Well, I have to say that the responses to Toni Buzzeo's request are
discouraging.

I agree with Shonda Brisco - it *is* frustrating "to be taught to do
something that no one else in education is aware of or wants to become
part of once they're in the system."  I have to say, though, that it's
not only the teachers who are unaware or unwilling; in my experience,
there are some librarians who are not willing to consider the paradigm
shift from "taking care of/checking out the books" to collaborating with
teachers to integrate the TEKS.  I have heard the comment, "I'm not a
teacher-librarian, I'm an administrator/librarian."  Or, "I checked out
books for 1,000+ students in the month of January - that's my
contribution."

I haven't been around as long as these librarians nor have I walked in
their shoes; I=92m sure much of it has to do with the constrictions
presented by the school environment they're in.  They've probably lived
the frustration and fatigue of doing back-to-back classes as well as AR.
I know of several librarians who are reaching burn-out with the demands
placed by this program.  AR can tend to become the "be-all, end-all"
once it's fully implemented.  I know that in my school, it was a real
challenge for me to keep up with just getting the books back on the
shelf, in addition to integrating the library skills with the curriculum
of the research classes.

There are many elements working against us as we attempt to align our
practice with state and national standards - lack of teacher time and,
at times, willingness; lack of principal's supprt; the nature of our
public school system (the accountability factor works to pressure the
teachers into covering the curriculum in piecemeal fashion; the number
of kids a teacher must attempt to teach at a time, along with the
baggage from their personal lives; unwillingness to change paradigm;
etc.

I guess the main thing I will try to remember is to do what I can within
whatever circle of influence I have and not to obsess about what can't
be done.

Carol Valdez, SGMS librarian
Laredo, TX