Well, I can't say that my search for a large (2-3') stuffed bookworm was
quite as successful as moving the library to the new media center was. Here
is what was shared and what I was able to find.

*I got a small one (about 9") for $24.99 that is very cute from
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/childsake/60510.html

*I sent away for a pattern ($5) for one (which I haven't yet received) from
http://dollmakersjourney.com/sieving.html

*There is a very cute small one (about 1') that is a Beanie Baby named
Squirmy that my sister-in-law found but it has been retired.

*Someone else suggested making one: <<Find some funky material and have a
creative person sew one for you. They could even use scraps and make a crazy
quilt one. I could freehand a possible pattern if they need it, If you used
some of those wild colored stocking, stuff it, threaded a heavy, bendable
wire down the middle before whipstitching it closed, you could create the
bumpy, up-down part. Felt (2 layers created by using StitchWitchery or some
other fusible adhesive) could be added for feet. Any craft or fabric store
carries a wide variety of plastic eyes and/or eyelashes. Just keep in mind if
you want it to be played with by children when you add other pieces. >>

*Apparently there is an Alfie the Bookworm that has traveled from school to
school but I don't know what it looks like nor where it came from originally.

*There is a small bookworm finger puppet put out by Folkmanis but it seems to
be "out of print" as I cannot locate one to order although I have seen them
before.

*And finally, nearly everyone said to find a creative person to make one for
the library.

I have made contact with a very generous person who offered his wife's
services in creating one. I also plan to offer my students the opportunity to
create bookworms which we will use to decorate our new media center.

Thank you so much for your ideas. It's clear there's a market out there
should anyone find a source.

Laura Manthey
Alta Vista School Media Center
Los Gatos, CA