Dear Colleagues,
    I am following this thread with interest and alarm.  My county in
Virginia has just replaced the School Board's Staff Librarian (who has
an MLS) for the County's Professional Library  with a secretary who has
been officially been given the title of "Staff Librarian".  What sort of
a signal does that give to all the principal in this very large school
system?  Don't you think it says that for purposed of economy anything
goes in library staffing?...and that the title of librarian is theirs to
give?  Can you see where this leads in "site based management"?
   I should have not been too surprised by this move as the present
Supervisor of Libraries (for over 70 librarians) has degrees in English
and Education and none in Library Science.
   Like almost all other school librarians, I have know many capable and
very hardworking paraprofessionals.  However if you are a non degreed
school librarian do you understand in some cases you are used to replace
excellent  professional librarians because you come at a lower salary
and lower benefits?
Nancy Brown Supler, Librarian Retired
Nine Mile Creek, Cornwall PEI Canada and
Dunbarton, Bristow, VA USA
Always at <jbsnbs@erols.com>