For the last 3 years, I've boxed up the weeds, sealed them in cartons, and
then had Rotary collect them.  In Australia, Rotary has a central collection
point - the boxes are unpacked there, then repacked and transported to war
zones, third world countries, and anywhere that either doesn't have ANY
books, or has lost their books through some disaster.

I always tell the principal when I am ready to phone Rotary for a
collection, with an invitation to inspect the culls before they go.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  I'm happy to open up any box they
select (or even all of them if asked). One particularly enlightened Acting
Principal (the boss was seconded elsewhere for a term - but then came back)
said "You're in charge of the library - if you think they should be tossed
out, toss them."  (I like this guy's attitude, and look forward to the day
when he gets the principal's job!!!  In fact, I think he should be put in
charge of "enlightening" other principals!)

Hope this is of interest?
Amanda Credaro

>From: "Poverud, Ken" <KPoverud@HQ.ODEDODEA.EDU>

>GREAT Question...
>Well at one school I had the principal have a dumpster brought to the
>window
>of the school library, then opened the window and out they went

********************************
********************************
********************************
Amanda Credaro
Teacher Librarian
Seven Hills High School,
NSW, AUSTRALIA
phone: (02) 9624 3329
Fax: (02) 9838 8553
email: abcredaro@ozemail.com.au
WARRIOR LIBRARIAN WEEKLY:
The zine for librarians who refuse to be classified
http://www.warriorlibrarian.com