From: "Jennifer Davidson" <jdavidson@SOLOMON393.K12.KS.US>
To: <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 10:35 PM
Subject: library skills classes as self-contained research units?

> I will be a new elementary librarian this fall at a school which uses a
> fixed schedule.  It is my impression (I've already been employed in the
> district) that the vast majority of the teachers regard this time as
> babysitting time and will not be willing to do much, if indeed any,
> collaboration.
>
> My question is this:  Has anyone ever done a self-contained Handy 5 or Big
6
> research unit?  Where the students would be doing this only in your
library
> skills class?  My half formed idea is that they could form pairs or groups
> of 3, choose a topic they are interested in, investigate using a variety
of
> library resources and assessing the usefulness of each resource as to
their
> particular project.  Any thoughts out there?  I am thinking about doing
this
> with maybe 4th-6th graders.
>
> Jenni Davidson
> Elementary Librarian
> Solomon Elementary School
> Solomon, KS

******************************

I did it with 1st through 4th graders.  We had a blast.  Their report could
look like anything they wanted it too.  we had posters, a snake report as a
book in the shape of a snake.  One class we used the kids version of power
point and created reports geared towards 2nd graders.  They had a blast
working on those.  Picked that teacher because all they did in the computer
lab, was treat it like a video arcade.

******************************

I'd be interested in a HIT on this subject. Last year was my first, and
collaboration was like pulling teeth. But I think things will work out
better this year. I did several research lessons with my kids last year,
loosely based on the Big 6, and I learned a lot. One project my kids liked
was to use at least two or three sources of information to create their own
animal fact cards. This was a two-person team project. I did a template for
them and gave them a list of facts to be included on the card. We put the
cards in a notebook, put them in their classroom and shared them with
parents during conferences.

***********************************
I was in a situation some years ago where I had 5/6th grade classes daily,
but I couldn't collaborate with the teachers either. The classes were a
mixture of 4 different classes, so the kids were all studying different
things. Like your situation, there was no way to tie to any specific lesson
because only 1/4 were working on one thing. I had them an hour per week,
which included time in the computer lab (which I also ran).

Since we were on a hexter (6-week) grading period, I devised 4-week
self-guided study courses, and let the kids choose to work in small groups
The 1st week was for explaining the particular units, the last was for
wrap-up and sharing of the completed work. In between they were on their
own, but I would do a short introduction to some reference element (i.e. the
"library skills" thing). The kids liked the freedom to pick their own topic,
they got to work together, so their was some peer teaching going on, and
they could apply the units to what they were doing in class if they wanted.

It's been a while, and don't remember the details of all the units but some
of the products were along the lines of:
- produce a video highlighting a geographic area of the world;
- complete a poster of a scientific topic (space, animal, etc)
- assemble a newspaper front page from a period in history;
- create a play explaining something new (science, math, english, etc);
- write/read a 1-2 page paper about an historic event;
- write and illustrate a picture book that explains something new;
etc etc

Each unit was tied to learning and using specific reference or AV/tech
items, which I prefaced with the short lessons. I changed the line-up of
choices each hexter (the mix of who came in which classes also changed each
hexter), reviewed the rubric for each, and got students' buy-in as to what a
quality product would be. It eliminated the guess-work on their part as to
what to do, and gave everyone a chance to see what others did. During the 4
weeks of work, I checked on how they progressed on using certain items
(video, internet, reference books, periodicals, etc). They had to show a
certain level of proficiency, or I requested they repeat the unit the next
time with a different topic. That formed the basis for their Pass/needs
improvement grade I submitted at the end of the grading period to the
teachers. We also displayed finished products, which were quite popular with
the rest of the school.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

******************************

Congratilations on your new job.  I do Big 6 units with 4th and 5th graders.
It is very time consuming, but worthwhile.  It helps to be very structured
and organized,especially with 4th graders.  I usually limit the sources they
can use.  Usually, I work with another teacher who is willing to collaborate
and have the other students in that grade do the same project I have been
very successful working with the art and music teachers, having students
choose topics in those subject areas/  Also, make sure you have the
resources available if you want them to do it in the library.If you would
like I could snail mail a unit to you, but I can't get into school until
August.