The final total for me was close to 6,000 messages.  Fortunately
they were all very small in size and took only a couple of hours or
so to download with my dial-up modem.  My trusty Graphite iBook
with Eudora Pro had some rigorous exercise.

Multi-tasking did the trick -- I found the un-subscribe instructions
for the PacificLibrary list on Google.  The magic message turned
the tide and all has stopped for me.  I do not care to think of
the damage that this has done to small libraries in remote areas.
The unintended consequences of one person's use of technology
has spread electronic mayhem across the Pacific.  And it likely
continues as I write this.

We have much to be thankful for on LM_NET with the careful monitoring
of out-going messages from the list.

If you think that life on a tropical island in the North Pacific
is just swaying palm trees and sandy beaches with loads of time to
read duplicate messages -- we do have an occasional bit of something
with a faster pace.  Right now it is called "TS 08W."  The TS means
tropical storm, more than a depression and less than a typhoon.  It
is the 8th named weather system of this typhoon season.

And the Internet sites:

National Weather Service Forecast Office, Tiyan, Guam
Comments:  Regional Map, satellite photos
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/pr/guam/

Joint Typhoon Warning Center
Comments:  Very detailed analysis and extensive charts
http://metoc.npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc.html

Anna M. Sloan
Oceanview Middle School
Agat, Guam