International School Libraries Day is the 4th Monday in October every year,
and therefore this year it is October 28, 2002, and the theme is 021.7 -
Library Matters. In light of the current and continuing theme of advocacy of
our role in student development, teacher support, and curriculum delivery it
will be a wonderful opportunity to showcase the not-so-obvious services that
we provide particularly those things that connect students around the world
such as travel buddies and email exchanges.

Our webpage is at http://www.iasl-slo.org/isld.html  and if you are planning
any special activities or have suggestions that other may take on board,
then please send them to me.  I would love to see ideas for bulletin boards,
displays and other 'quick ideas' that put us in people's faces but don't
take so much time that nothing gets done.

I also urge people to consider continuing the Growing the Future project
that we started last year after the September 11 tragedy.  Perhaps, given
that it is now six months on and a completely different season which is
possibly more conducive to planting perennials, this may be an appropriate
time to start or continue this project.  The webpage for more information is
at http://www.iasl-slo.org/isld2001-growing.html

Please feel free to distribute this message to any other lists that you
might belong to, particularly in Canada as my messages there always bounce.

Kia ora
Barbara
Co-ordinator, International School Libraries Day
on behalf of the International Association of School Libraries

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School
PALMERSTON ACT 2913