thank you to all who responded..KE

Do you have a coin op copier for student use in your
>HS library? YES
>Lease or Own?  OWN
>Who paid for lease or purchase? LIBRARY BUDGET & SITE
BUDGET
>Rational for coin op copier....
tEACHER USE FOR SINGLE COPIES - FREE STUDENTS DIME A
PAGE OUR MACHINE
HAS A
COIN OP WITH A CODE BOX FOR TEACHERS TO
>There is resistance to charge ("kids are cheap"  to
>"put jar out and hope for best")
>Other questions include:   why is it needed in HS
>library? CUT DOWN ON STUDENTS RIPPING PAGES OUT OF
BOOKS AND BOOK
THEFT
>Why not get more free copiers for teachers in school?
oUR SCHOOL HAS ACCESS TO A DISTRICT WIDE COPIER FOR
CLASSROOM SETS

We have a coin operated machine.

>Lease or Own?
We own it.

>Who paid for lease or purchase?
It was a gift from the student government but we pay
the maintenance
and
supply bills.

>Rational for coin op copier....
The $.10 fee discourages unnecessary printing and
saves on toner and
paper.

>There is resistance to charge ("kids are cheap"  to
>"put jar out and hope for best")
Students understood the minimal fee option when it was
purchased and
agreed
to purchase it anyway. Our previous machine was
constantly broken but
this
one has held up quite well over 6 years.

>Other questions include:   why is it needed in HS
>library?
This is the only machine students have access to.
Often I prefer that
they
copy some images rather than print out numerous large
pictures from the
computer. They also copy notes, vertical file
articles, pages from
print
resources they want to copy, etc.

>Why not get more free copiers for teachers in school?
This is not for teacher use but for students. I am the
only staff
member
who uses the machine. Teachers have their own
department copiers.

>I am in a brand new "technology " school..and thought
>this would be a BASIC, not a frill in the
>library...suggestions/ammunition/ideas welcome!!
I would not want a free copier for students as it
would encourage
indiscriminate copying and would cost too much in
toner, paper, the
maintenance agreement which is based upon the number
of copies, and the
general upkeep of the machine. The minimal cost forces
students to
print
only things they really need or want. It is a
self-serve machine and
works
quite well for us.

This is a high school that serves over 800 students
and about 100
teachers
and staff members.  We have a copier in the main
office and two in the
"copy room".  They are for the use of the teachers and
staff only.

The library has a coin operated copier for student
use.  It's been here
for
several years, and is used more each year.  Each copy
costs a dime.  I
started talking about getting a copier for the library
16 years ago, so
the
principal allowed me to charge a dime for each copy.
My staff or
library
student helpers went to the office to make the copies.
 I "saved" the
dimes
towards a copier--a very slow process.

Before I'd saved enough, the principal entered into
some kind of
agreement
with a copier company.  We do not own the machine, but
we supply the
paper.
 They supply the toner, but I replace it.  Someone
comes on a periodic
basis to empty the money.  I'm not sure if the school
gets a portion of
the
proceeds or not--the library doesn't.  It is a very
basic black and
white
machine although it will enlarge and make change for
quarters.

There is still some resistance to the machine's use.
The number of
teachers saying, "I'll just take this over and copy it
for Suzie." has
decreased.  And the number of kids saying, "but my
parents pay taxes
and
this is for school" has decreased.  I always tell the
kids that the
principal placed it in the library--go talk to
him--and I shrug my
shoulders as if to say that I had nothing to do with
the decision.  I
also
tell them that when they get to college, they will
have to pay for
copies--and probably each page will cost more! And,
they can always
take
notes instead of making copies! They NEVER choose that
option. At one
point, I had to tell my staff that they HAD to stop
taking stuff to the
office to make copies--the prin put the copier in the
library for a
reason
and we needed to insist on its use. They didn't agree
with me, but
that's
another story--at least they stopped running to the
office to make
student
copies.

It definitely has decreased the amount of traffic in
and out of the
main
office--which is why the prin got the machine in the
first place.

I used to provide change, but have stopped.  By now,
all the kids are
aware
that the machine costs money, the teachers remind
them, etc.  When a
student tells me that they "need" a class set of
whatever and it's not
fair
because it's "for school", I tell them to get their
group to split the
cost.

It has taken a while (several years), but there are
fewer and fewer
objections to its use.  We also have found that kids
no longer use the
school copiers to copy their party invitations, etc.

I applaud my principal for putting it in the library.

We have a copier, but not coin operated (sometimes I
wish....). It is
frequently used by kids to copy pages from books they
are using for
assignments. When we didn't have one, they (i.e. a
few) would rip pages
out
of books!

   Do you have a coin op copier for student use in
your
   HS library?   yes
   Lease or Own?  own
   Who paid for lease or purchase?  Parents Club
   Rational for coin op copier....It pays for the
maintenance contract, toner, etc.
   There is resistance to charge ("kids are cheap"  to
   "put jar out and hope for best")
   Other questions include:   why is it needed in HS
   library? Kids need to copy all kinds of stuff -
from reference books, notes from
   classes, etc.
   Why not get more free copiers for teachers in
school? Kids are not allowed to use
   teachers' machines

We charge (5 cents) because the copy is their property
and one pays
when
one assumes ownership of something. (I think this
principle is pretty
comprehensively adhered to in our school, although I'm
sure there's a
couple of exceptions somewhere.)

The lease is paid by 'the school' (not from the
library budget). Since
teachers use it a fair bit I would protest vehemently
at any attempt to
change this. (Teachers copy for free when doing their
job; for personal
copies they pay too.)

KE Hones
O'Connell HS Library