From time to time, I have read reports of various author visits on LM Net.  I'd
like to
report about the mime who came to my school on March 13th.  His name is Dan Kamin
and you
can find out more about him at

www.dankamin.com

Dan is from Pittsburgh and was in Worthington (Ohio) to perform for the Worthington
Arts
Council.  He had previously performed at the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind
and
liked the audience so much that when he learned Ohio's deaf school was in a nearby
city
(Columbus), he convinced the Worthington Arts Council to include us in school
visits for
free! He did a whole school performance on one day and returned to do a master
class for
20 on another day.

His performance was fantastic!  In my 15 years at the school, I have never seen a
performance that thrilled the students as much as Dan's.  Dan's performance was
mostly
mime with a bit of magic.  Not only did Dan bond with the students immediately, he
had a
very strong pro-reading and library message.  When the students wanted to know how
he
learned magic, he told them about the "magic" number, 793.8.  The next day,  kids
came
into the library and checked out magic books to take home for the weekend!

Maybe your local arts council might be interested in bringing Dan Kamin to your
school.

Ada G. Kent, Librarian
Ohio School for The Deaf
500 Morse Road