Deborah--am doing a "country project" as we speak!

Our kids are doing a Powerpoint presentation.  They are to
play the role of travel agents, selling the country as a
vacation spot.  I talked the teachers in structuring it so
that it wasn't just "stolen" pictures.  (Can't stand Power
Pointless presentations.)  The teachers have set 15 slides
as the final number.  Each slide, 1 through 10 has a
specific type of info to be presented.  Slides 11-15 are the
student's choice.   In addition, they must write a 2 page
summary of their presentation, more like a script to go
along with the presentation, and provide a page of citations
for their sources.  PS.  www.foodtv.com  can be searched by
the name of a country or its adjective form for some great
recipes.  Students who make a food to share with class get
extra credit.

An alternative that I did a few years back with a
techno-free teacher was to give each student a letter from
Dear Aunt Tillie saying that she was so impressed with them
that she was going to pay for a summer vacation to anywhere
inthe world they wanted to go.  BUT before she would give
them the money, she had to know exactly how much they would
need.  They had to submit a detailed itinerary with
estimated costs.  They also had to know some basic things,
like:  passport needed?
        vaccination?
        What type of travel and how much?
        Any special clothing/equipment needed?
        etc.  you get the idea.
We had forms for the kids to get them started.  They chose
some interesting places!  I had to go out and buy a lot of
=46odor's guides for this one, but since you are based in
Europe, you probably have a lot of travel info available
through the base?

One more alternative, similar to the first above, is to make
travel brochures.  I prefer the Powerpoint because you can't
get much into a brochure.

Lee D. Gordon, Librarian
Sierra Vista High School     (702)799-6820 x230
8100 W. Robindale Rd.          FAX 799-6847
Las Vegas, NV 89113   lgordon@lvcm.com
(New school as of July, 2001)