Hi:

Nancy Westendorf posted this on LM_NET on Friday ---

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HELP!   ELEM Librarians Cut

The Superintendent of the Rochester (NY) City School District has proposed
cutting all 39 elementary librarian positions in the City.  We need all the
help we can get.  Please send me anything specific (with citations) that we
can use to convince the Board to keep the positions.

In addition, if you know anyone (especially outside of the librarian
profession itself) who would like to email me a letter in support of
elementary librarians that I could send to the board (any contacts with
education professors, or reading professors, or heads of corporations who
would like to weigh in on this matter?)I am afraid that librarians
supporting librarians is not as convincing as we need.  We have the
Colorado, Alaska studies and have used the LM NET archives, but need MORE.
I will compile a HIT when this nightmare is over.

Nancy Westendorf, Librarian
Community School #14 (PreK-5)
200 University Avenue
Rochester, NY  14605

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First, it would be wonderful if you have any ideas, materials, or names
that you could share with her.

Second, this is a perfect example, I think, of how great it would be
if we had a collection of prepared materials available to librarians
so they could make a quick and powerful response to challenges
like this.

Thinking that, I'd like to ask again if anyone has a prepared Powerpoint
or equivalent presentation, over-head transparency presentation,
35mm slide presentation, or print materials that you would be
willing to share.

With the permission of the people who send them to me, I will
post a "hit" -- and then I plan to establish a web site where
these resources could be added to over time and accessed
by anyone who needs them.

I'm sure that this program threat blind-sided Nancy -- just as
it has happened to others across the country.  Getting a
collection of materials readily available would go a long
way in helping librarians respond.

If you

(1) have any prepared programs -- Powerpoint, video,
overhead transparencies, 35mm slides, or print that you
would be willing to share, and

(2) would be willing to let me pass your name along to
others as someone to contact in time of need --

please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

My email is     ghartzell@mail.unomaha.edu

Gary

Gary Hartzell
Department of Educational Administration
University of Nebraska at Omaha
(402) 554-3442
Email:  ghartzell@mail.unomaha.edu