Many thanks to the following for their replies which were used to create thi=
s=20
HIT:
=20
Judy Finucane, Betty S. Welch, Jonie Fitzsimmons, JillBrown, Helen Ewings,M.=
=20
Ellen Jay, Nancy Dougherty, Mary Flanagan, CynthiaStrouse, Monica=20
Campana,Jeanne Claridge, Susan Raben
=20
Though I had asked for online resources for primary research, I did welcome=20
the replies which included non-online sources as well. These were recommende=
d:
=20
Grolier Online: The New Book of Knowledge Online=20
       go.grolier.com/go-ol/static/features/nbkfeatrs.htm-8k
=20
mentioned twice: SIRS Discoverer, one person begins to use it with 3rd=20
graders=20
       www.sirs.com
=20
mentioned twice:            Heinneman's First Encyclopedia

mentioned 8 times:         World Book student encyclopedia (not online)
=20
World Book animal sets
              =20
=E2=80=9Cworldbookonline feels that their encyclopedia stresses the basic si=
mple
information about an article in the first paragraph.  Then, it becomes more
complex.  They feel that they meet the needs of all learners by that method.=
=E2=80=9D
=20
Suggestion: use Yahooligans to find and bookmark appropriate sites
=20
enchantedlearning.com=20
=20
suggestion: use funds to expand nonfiction; if  the upper grades are too bus=
y=20
test-taking, appropriate funds from that level to purchase resources for the=
=20
younger students
=20
Rourke's Animal Discovery library is great because each book on an animal is
set up in the same way.=20
=20
EBSCO - primary search includes cute Funk and Wagnall's searchasaurus online
  =20
Suggestion:  Plan research around the curriculum AND around the
materials on hand, for example, our 2's study weather and we have a lot of
easy books about weather. So we brainstorm weather words,then have pairs of
students try to locate facts related to the weather term they get assigned.
=20
From M. Ellen Jay:
For emergent researchers print material has many advantages.  The
World Book Discovery set is very appropriate for primary grade
students.  There is much being published in easy reading non-fiction which
is also good for use with this age group. Titles should be purchased that
match major units of study in the curriculum and areas of personal=20
interest. They need experience with many short research projects as opposed=20
to a big one.  A single trade book may be sufficient resource for many=20
meaningful
projects.  As to on-line SIRS Discoverer and NewsBank have many materials
that are accessable by primary students who are proficient readers.  Other
resources we used for primary grade research were CD's such as Animals in
Their World, Changes Around Us (seasons), Community Exploration and
Postcards. =20
 M. Ellen Jay
Prof. Dev. School Coordinator
for Library Media=20
MD St. Dept. of Ed.
=20
Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions! =20
=20
Marcia Garman Zorn
Librarian
Shady Oaks Elementary School