I was just curious... I would like to hear the opinions of school librarians
that were once public librarians about AR and Reading Counts.

I was a Youth Services Librarian and I can't count how many times students
with their parents were frantic about getting enough points for that marking
period, usually the weekend before the end of the marking period.  Were they
looking for Authors they enjoy?  No.  Were they looking for challenging
books?  No.  Were they looking for one challenging book that would give all
the points they need?  No.  Were they looking for books on their reading
level?  Sometimes.  Students were looking for the shortest, easiest books
that they could read quickly.  It was common for a student to check out 5 or
so Dr. Seuss books when their reading level was much higher, just to get the
points.

I don't think that there is an absolute answer.  But I do think that AR or
Reading Counts should be a part, maybe a large part, of a Reading Program and
not stand alone.

Ann Brady, Former School Librarian, Grad Student
Newport News, VA
anabug_865@yahoo.com