billlibrary@YAHOO.COM writes:
>I would like to ask if anyone has experience having TV Cable run in their
>school.  We are VERY small school district and have one drop from the
>local cable company.  I would like to run it to 6 classrooms.  I have put
>in splitters & 75 ohm coaxial before, but lose clarity as we add.  Does
>anyone have the experience to advise on what we need to boost signal &
>just what the loss of integrity is over distance?
>
>B. Waters
>West Pike Schools
>billlibrary@yahoo.com

Hi:
I wired our building several years ago myself.  The high school has
approximately 50 rooms that have a drop in each.  Your signal loss is due
to a couple of factors.  One, the cable length and Two, you are using
splitters.  Splitters eat up a signal fast.  What you should use are
called taps.  These allow just a enough signal to pass off and continue to
go by to the next room.

The best possible solution (and we are re-wiring one of our elementaries
currently) is to run one line to each room in what is called a homerun
from the main drop to each room.  This may sound like a lot of cable but
the problems later can be isolated to just that one romm, if something
comes up.  Then at the main entry point, there would be a cluster of taps
or splitters along with one other piece of equipment and that is a
distribution amplifier.  This is vital for the runs to have enough signal
power to get to all the rooms.  I got an adjustable one from Pico Macom
that works up to about 1000 megahertz.  This is important because all the
cable systems are offering more channels and this amp will work just fine
and is relatively inexpensive.  All of your coax cable should be RG-6.
The R-56, 58, and 59 can not handle all the new signals so if you are
pulling new cable, get RG-6.

Your local cable system should be able to donate some of items as a public
service to the educational community.  Good Luck.

Keith Fisher
Media Coordinator
Port Clinton City Schools
Port Clinton, Ohio USA
<'{{{{<(  Walleye Capital of the World
keith_fisher@port-clinton.k12.oh.us

The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for
the addressee.  Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized as
the content is subject legal professional privilege.  No part of this
e-mail may be reproduced, altered, disclosed, forwarded and/or distributed
without a prior written agreement by the author.