We use Reading Counts at our schools.  Please, whatever you do in your report,
don't lump Reading Counts in with AR.  There are significant differences. So many
reports on the good things and bad things about "reading programs" are just reports
on AR with an occasional sentence saying something like "and Reading Counts is
similar."
    The only similarity between RC and AR is that they both have tests.  From that
jumping off place, they have very different programs, tests, systems, and
objectives.
     I cannot imagine trying to promote and manage a reading program without
Reading Counts or AR.  I prefer Reading Counts, but I would learn how to use AR if
I had to.  I have run dynamic, student-centered reading programs before RC and AR
were invented, and I never want to go back to those days again, and I'm so thankful
that I don't have to.
     My district uses RC at the high school and middle school levels, and AR at the
elementary level. (We're switching the elementary to RC later this year.)  The
proper use of either of these programs can create a "culture of reading" at your
school. One of the really good things about the way RC and AR are used in our
schools is that we use them to leverage the library into the instructional goals of
the schools.  We use the programs to partner with the teachers in teaching and
promoting reading.  We are not just the book orderers, clerks, and shelvers.  We
keep up with student progress; we go into classes waving books, motivating
students; and we take credit when reading scores go up and students profess a love
of reading.

---
Donna Cook, Nacogdoches, Texas :
Teacher Librarian Central High;
District Library Coordinator, Central ISD;
donnacook@lycos.com
936-853-9345 (work)
936-569-2426 (home)

"Books are the holes in the fences of life"--Peg Kehret

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:44:32
 Sandy Scroggs wrote:
>I have been asked to write a manuscript on the topic of reading programs and
>how they affect the library.  I am very familiar with Accelerated Reader at
>my elementary school.  I would like to hear from people who would like to
>voice their opinions either for or against any reading program and the way
>that it affects your library.  I am hoping to present both sides for any
>reading program at elementary, middle and high school levels.
>
>Emails  should go to my personal email address sscroggs@satx.rr.com .  If
>there are other reading programs that you would like to see included in the
>manuscript please let me know.
>
>TIA,
>
>Sandy Scroggs
>Librarian
>Schenck Elementary School
>San Antonio, TX
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
>All postings to LM_NET are protected under copyright law.
>To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST, etc.) send email to:
>listserv@listserv.syr.edu   In the message write EITHER:
>1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL or 3) SET LM_NET DIGEST
>4) SET LM_NET MAIL  * Please allow for confirmation from Listserv.
>For LM_NET Help see: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/
>Archives: http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/LM_NET.shtml
> See also EL-Announce for announcements from library media vendors:
>    http://www.mindspring.com/~el-announce/

Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get 25MB Storage, POP3 Access,
Advanced Spam protection with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.