Thanks to those of you who answered my pleas for help! As always, your
wisdom is the best!

Here are the results of my recent post asking for suggestions for books
about countries for high school students. I will be ordering the
Stryker-Post books and Marshall Cavendish as budget allows.
Martha Decherd
Teacher Librarian
David Douglas High School
Portland, Oregon
martha_decherd@ddouglas.k12.or.us
http://ddhs.ddouglas.k12.or.us/staff/library/library/index.html

My favorite country books are the Marshall Cavendish Cultures of the World
series.

I have a standing order with Stryker-Post Publications to get 8 books,
updated each year, which cover the world's countries. These are large
paperback volumes and they cost (this year) $13.50 each.
The titles are:
Africa
Canada
East, Southeast Asia and Western Pacific
Latin America
Middle East and South Asia
Nordic, Central and Southeastern Europe
Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States
Western Europe

Every volume has a chapter for each country, and the chapters on the
countries are fairly long. They begin with basic statistics (climate,
population, area, languages, ethnic groups, etc.) and then they do the
history from its earliest time to the present. There are maps and
illustrations. I find them perfect for high school level, but our middle
school makes use of them, too. They take up little space as well. I get
them every year so we'll have something very current, and I keep about 5
years worth of each on the shelf. For instance, when the 2002 issues
arrived in September I got rid of the 1997s. Having about 5 on hand means
more than one person can use the information at one time. Only the most
recent edition, though, will have any current updates.
their information is:
http://www.strykerpost.com
Stryker-Post Publications
Publishers of The World Today Series
P.O. Drawer 1200
Harper's Ferry, WV 25425
1-800-995-1400
fax 304-535-6513

For younger children there's a new publisher out there called Mason Crest.
I know they have different series of country books. My colleagues in the
middle and lower schools ordered some. They were impressed with the
samples our rep brought in. I think reviews on these books have been very
good, too. They are recommended for ages 12 and up, and most seem to have
about 64 pages. They run about $19.95 (HC) and a set of 8 in the Let's
Discover Central America series, for example, runs $159.60. Other series
have different numbers of volumes in the sets, so the prices differ. They
have a website at http://www.masoncrest.com
Our rep is thrilled to be working with this publisher. I even have some of
their health-related books (they have a series of Mayo Clinic stuff that
is excellent).

We have a standing order with Marshall Cavendish for their Cultures of
the World Series. They have approx 150 pages with lots of color pictures
and maps. They are about $35.00 each. We have 7th -12th grades and they
are used mostly by 7th -9th, but our junior and seniors also use them
for basic info, especially in the language classes. They have good
accurate info on the country and its culture - just not in any great
depth. I like having the standing order 'cause the new and updated
copies come automatically!
I know there are several sets like this from other publishers. I think
they are all good.