>   > No so long ago I heard a speaker say that only 1% of what's available=20=
>
> > on
> > the web is searchable by "search engines" - I'm assuming the so called
> > "deep or invisible" web.
> >
> > Does anyone know where I can verify that percentage?
>
> greeting julie,
>
> perhaps of interest:
>
>   http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/07-01/bergman.html
>
> a *white paper* produced by for-profit company Bright Planet may have
> some of the numbers you are looking for.

It was indeed the Bright Planet study which suggested that the invisible or deep
web is
400 to 550 times bigger than the visible web.  See the Bright Planet Deep Web FAQ at
<http://www.brightplanet.com/deepcontent/deep_web_faq.asp>

Chris Sherman and Gary Price, in their BOOK "The invisible web: uncovering
information
sources search engines can't see"  (Medford NJ: Information Today, inc., 2001), hold
that the Bright Planet survey is an overestimate, in that it includes very
temporary web
pages such as weather forecasts, front page headlines and similar transient
information.  If I recall aright, they also suggest the temporary pages you call up
THROUGH the web are included, shopping inquiries and flight plans etc.  Their
estimate
is that the really useful stuff on the deep web is about 50 times greater than the
size
of the visible web...

Note they published this in a BOOK.  There's a lot of information out there which
just
isn't on the internet at all, invisible or visible!

John Royce

Library Director : Robert College of Istanbul
Kuruçesme Cad. No. 87
TR-34345 Arnavutköy - Istanbul
Turkey

Email: jroyce@robcol.k12.tr