Thanks for all the quick responses.  I've extracted authors and titles
(if mentioned) from the text of the emails which follow the list.

Coleman, Evelyn Born in sin
Dickey, Jerome          "any and all titles"
Draper, Sharon          Hazelwood High Trilogy: Tears of a Tiger, Forged by
                        Fire, and Darkness;  also Romiette and Julio
Flake, Sharon           "anything"
Grimes, Nikki           Bronx Masquerade
Hardy,  James Earl      B-boy blues
Hewitt, Lori            Dancer
McMillan, Terry
Myers, Walter Dean      Monster; "any titles"
Sapphire                Push
Souljah, Sistah         The coldest winter ever
Tyree, Omar             "any and all titles"
Wolff, Virginia Euwer   True Believer series
Woodson, Jacqueline

+ + + +
Our hottest are any and all titles by Omar Tyree and Jerome Dickey.
Great literature they're not; hot and jazzy, they are. Maybe even
a little riske` (sp?). But none of our titles have seen a shelf since
the
day school began. I've had to go down to B&N in the middle of the
night and fill my trunk with more.

I've also had a couple staff members and one parent read them. My
first thought was uh oh, here comes a challenge. But no, they just
asked for more....

Terry McMillan has a respectable following too tho nothing quite
like the first two authors above.
 + + + + +
Dancer--I"m home and can't remember the author :(
    + + + + + ++
The # 1 title that moves (most stolen title in Brooklyn Public
Library)
is Push by Sappphire

They also all want The Coldest Winter Ever by Sistah Souljah.

I liked (& it also moves) Monster by Walter Dean Myers.  Don't know if
this will move but if you have gay teens you might try the B-boy Blues
by James Earl Hardy.  I've read all except the coldest winter ever and
enjoyed them.
 + + + + +
Any titles by Walter Dean Myers
 + + +
     Our kids love the Hazelwood High Trilogy: Tears of a Tiger,
Forged by
Fire and Darkness before Dawn by Sharon Draper. She has a website
www.sharondraper.com   She also had additional books such as Romiette
and
Julio
  + + + + + +
Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes
Hazelwood High Series by Sharon Draper -- These STAY on a waiting
list!
        (Tears of a Tiger, Forged by Fire, Darkness before Dawn)
  + + + + +
ALL my students LOVE Sharon Draper's writings. She is an African
American
author from Cincinnati, Ohio. The are by far the hottest books in my
library!!!! (Forged by Fire, Tears of a Tiger, Darkness Before Dawn,
Romiette and Julio)
 +++ + + + + + +
Try 'Born in sin' by Coleman or any of the ones by Sharon Draper.
 + + + +
True Believer series
 + + + +
Anything by Sharon Draper or Sharon Flake
 + + +
You probably have theses titles, authors already -- but-- Sharon
Draper-
especially Tear of a Tiger, Jacquline Woodson and Walter Dean Myers
are
all excellent young adult African American authors.
  +  + + +

Cheers. Edith.

Edith Fuller
Librarian, Professional Library