community.  A middle
school reading teacher went to a workshop this summer where
they developed a unit on Harry Potter.  Before she taught it,
she discussed it with her students, and the overwhelming
majority of them wanted to read it.  She then sent a letter to
the parents that they were going to read it. Need I say more.
A small group of people (including "some" of the parents)
protested in a meeting with the teacher, had a television
station interviewing them,and are now getting up a petition to
take it out of the library.  When a reporter asked those at
the first meeting how many had read the book, <underline>not one person
in the protesting group had read it</underline>. Our superintendent "asked
her" not to teach the book to stop all the dissention. We
actually have groups saying that she believes in witchcraft
now. It has been ugly. It has pitted churches against
churches, friends against friends, and teachers against
teachers.   If you have time, please answer these questions.

Is Harry Potter included in your curriculum?

Have you had to address complaints about it either in the
classroom or the library?

What has been your best source in handling these situations?

Thanks.

George Anne Draper, librarian

Wynne High School, Wynne, AR

gdraper@wynne.k12.ar.us