Thank you to those who replied!  I have more information and am better able
to buy a webcam/digital camera that will work for my daughter who has a Mac
(I'm a PC person).

Below are the responses I received.

"I personally like the iBot for Firewire - much faster than USB.  Info at

http://www.orangemicro.com/ibot.html

You will need a mic for this (any will do, but a good one is preferable),
but the video throughput and quality of the additional mic as opposed to a
built in one is WELL worth it!"

"
http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2645842-7-1461876.html?tag=st.ce.673326
4-7-1461873.arrow.2645842-7-1461876
Only one of the webcams reviewed is compatible with Macs--the bottom one.
There are a few user reviews for each webcam at the site below, but she will
need to check for compatibility with Macs...
http://www.pcphotoreview.com/Web,Cameras/PLS_3096_913crx.aspx

"IMHO, webcams are a waste of money because they only do one thing.
Usually, for about the same amount of money you can buy an
inexpensive digital camera which will also work as a webcam and a
camera. This way, you get the best of both worlds; a webcam for doing
video conferencing stuff plus a digital camera that you can carry
with you and take pictures with.

Recommendations?  We've purchased a number of AEL cameras.
Originally they were purchased as web cams but the teachers and
students quickly discovered how much fun they were to use as digital
cameras.

For more info:

        http://www.multi-cam.net

Their current model sells for about $60.00. It holds 24 pictures or
about a minute and a half of video, doubles as a web cam (it even
ships with a cute stand) and comes with a flash unit.  The camera is
compact and very durable.  Drivers and software for both Mac and
Windows platforms are available - in case your daughter ever becomes
a Windows person or, you buy one for yourself ;-)"

Thanks again!

Anne Richards, Librarian
Chemawa Indian School
Salem, OR 97305