While we don't actively push Pinkmonkey, we do at times make use of it. A=
was stated in an earlier posting, students will use it at home if not at
school. Blocking it at school doesn't solve the problem but eliminates
those without computer access from using it.  There is  also a similar
service "Spark Notes". In some cases teachers even encourage students to
use these.

My two cents worth;

If teachers know the students are using these resources, and let students=

know that the teachers know about them, we have fewer problems with
students relying only on these. We have had students plagiarize from thes=
sites and have been "caught" by myself or the teacher.  The word gets out=

that copying doesn't work.

Some students have been encouraged to use these to find help about the bo=
ok
they are reading. Some of the teachers have even used the sites for
information to use in their classes.

I have a number of reference books with similar information, how do I tel=
a student that using this is print is ok, but online isn't? We use this
opportunity to stress that they should use a variety of resources and
compare. They soon notice that while Pinkmonkey is great for a summary,
that the print critical reviews are more useful when they need literary
criticism.

The books included on these sites are those on many "honors" English
reading lists. Many of the titles available are also available in print
from standard reference sources. Perhaps one way to work this is to rewor=
the lists. I wonder if relying on those "standard" lists encourages sites=

like these to spring up.

Anyway my ramblings on the subject. My mind is not completely made up but=
lean towards showing students how to use these resources.

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany
now proudly on the web at http://www.wies-hs.eu.odedodea.edu