Hello Everyone,
My Head Master just came to me with this:
If we envisioned a school of 200 high schoolers and
400 elementary schoolers, how many square feet would
the library require?  What suggestions do you have for
needs, changes, recommendations, etc.?

Currently we have 403 students total, 100 of them are
high schoolers.  We have a very small library, five
computers, no assistant, old, donated collection, a
fixed schedule...hmmm....I am sure there is more.  Oh
the five computers were funded through a grant awarded
for assistive technology housed in the library.  We
are a private school for gifted/dyslexic students.  I
have no assistant.

The Head Master really wants this library to be state
of the art.  He has written grants for funding for new
furniture, software, etc.  He is extremely supportive.
 He is in the process of finding the school a new
location for its building.  This could be wonderful
news for the library!

So, what are your suggestions?  I know he wants to
keep the library in one room.  (can't separate the
collections)  I have made a small list, but since this
is my first librarian position, I don't want to miss
something because of inexperience.  I have been here
five weeks.

One other question, how many fiction/nonfiction
sections do you have?  Easy, J, YA and then regular
FIC?  Or do you keep YA and adult fiction together?

THANKS! and Just curious,

Kim

=====
Kimberly A. Royle