I hope that you will find this 'hit' useful. I have shared this with my
staff and they are most appreciative of the ideas. If I have left
anything out, please add it to your own. Nancy Kramer, lms, C. R.
Richardson Elem, Richmond, In. nancyk@rcs.k12.in.us  =20

=20

1.  http://www.kidsreads.com/clubs/club-winn_dixie.asp
<http://www.kidsreads.com/clubs/club-winn_dixie.asp>  is a wonderful
site for a biography of the author. At the end is an interview conducted
by KIDS READ. A very worthwhile site with 10 discussion questions
following the interview but be ware that some of the questions contain
key elements of the plot. Do not read if you don't want to know what
happens!

Websites of interest:

Winn-Dixie Grocery=20
http://www.winn-dixie.com <http://www.winn-dixie.com>=20

Purina Pet Care
http://www.purina.com
Discovery
http://www.animal.discovery.com <http://www.animal.discovery.com>=20

2.    The following suggestion came from a librarian in Tennessee.
    I have been reading this book to my 4th and 5th grade classes. I
read it when it came out and just loved it!  I did a search on Google
looking up by the title of the book and came up with a few lesson plan
ideas.  I was curious if there is a Naomi, FL so I searched Google again
using Naomi, Florida and I came up with more hits that way.  There is no
real Naomi, FL that I can find.  I've been going along each week reading
a couple of chapters and discussing the parts of a story (character,
setting etc.)  We've really focused a lot on the characters and
character traits.  I was planning on having the students make their own
list of ten things to describe themselves (the father tells the daughter
ten things about the mother).=20

3.    This web site is FABULOUS=E2=80=94it has recipes, quizzes for all =
the
chapters, plus so much more. Everything is printable. Has a list of the
awards that W-D has won, links to About the author, Dog Nutrition,
Single Parent Families, War Books, Prisons (this site has a nifty
on-line quiz about prisons and who the prisoners are), Recipes, Parrots,
Crossword Puzzle, 4 quizzes over the whole book but it is broken down
into 4 segments, plus a connection to more resources. Obviously, I
thought that this was a great site.

http://www.mce.k12tn.net/dogs/dixie/because_of_winn_dixie.htm
<http://www.mce.k12tn.net/dogs/dixie/because_of_winn_dixie.htm>=20

4.     This is a link to a counting came for preschool =E2=80=93 first =
graders.
You could stretch the curriculum connection to 2nd if the child is not
able to count in sequence. This one is also wonderful=E2=80=94it is the =
old
memory game but on the Internet=E2=80=94I had a great time playing at =
this site.

Link ID: L00012876
Title: Gamebone
less than a minute. Fun for the SMARTboard.
<http://www.primarygames.co.uk/pg2/dogbone/gamebone.html>=20

5. This link is an internet unit on DOGS, and logic

http://www.suzyred.com/2001winndix.html
<http://www.suzyred.com/2001winndix.html>=20

Be very, very careful when you type this one in--if you type suziered
you will get porn.

6. This is a link to the American Library Association=E2=80=99s John =
Newbery
page=E2=80=94Because of Winn-Dixie was a Newbery honor book in 2000

http://www.ala.org/alsc/newbery.html
<http://www.ala.org/alsc/newbery.html>=20

7. WEB SITES of interest:

http://faculty.ssu.edu/~elbond/winndixie.htm
<http://faculty.ssu.edu/~elbond/winndixie.htm>  ways to connect
WinnDixie to the writing process.

http://www.state.lib.la.us/Dept/LibDev/youthservices/books03/winndixie.h
tm  This one provides excellent information for developing lesson plans.

Go here if you want more info on the author.
http://www.candlewick.com/bok_files/0763607762.art.1.pdf
<http://www.candlewick.com/bok_files/0763607762.art.1.pdf> =20

Reader=E2=80=99s Guide from Candlewick, the publisher=E2=80=99s site =
contains good
questions for discussion: http://www.candlewick.com/default.asp?t=3D18
<http://www.candlewick.com/default.asp?t=3D18>=20

A variety of activities (recipes, crossword puzzles) and related books
can be found at a web site developed at Mountain City Elementary School
as a ThinkQuest
project.http://www.mce.k12tn.net/dogs/dixie/because_of-winn-dixie.htm
<http://www.mce.k12tn.net/dogs/dixie/because_of-winn-dixie.htm>  I have
previously mentioned this site.

 8.  This link is from Reading Rainbow=E2=80=94cute class project on how =
do so
many people live in a trailer.

http://web54.sd54.k12.il.us/schools/hoover/khellesen/211210/bookreviews/
becauseofwinn.htm
<http://web54.sd54.k12.il.us/schools/hoover/khellesen/211210/bookreviews
/becauseofwinn.htm>=20

9.  This link is to a Mother-Daughter Book Club. It includes a summary
and a rating=E2=80=99s scale. Interesting scale.

http://www.pcl.lib.wa.us/Mdbc_up/MDBCDec01.htm
<http://www.pcl.lib.wa.us/Mdbc_up/MDBCDec01.htm>=20

10. Used this website=20

 http://www.jaxwrite.org/best/winndixiepresentaion.html to find these 10
Activities to do to celebrate Because of Winn-Dixie

11.  I found out that the movie rights have been purchased. Be looking
for a movie soon.

12. The following came from the web site
http://www.rebeccacaudill.org/2002/DiCamillo/Dicamilloact.htm
<http://www.rebeccacaudill.org/2002/DiCamillo/Dicamilloact.htm>=20

**At the Caudill website there are several student reviews of the book

**Also several student drawings of the book. =E2=80=94This would work =
for an art
tie-in.

13. Use this web site for the following lesson plans that follow:

=20
http://www.eduplace.com/readingscene/archive/november2001/teachers/rs56d
dteachers.html

 FOR TEACHERS=20

Grades 5-6: Because of Winn-Dixie for Cross-curricular Activities in
Language Arts, Social Studies, and Math. Even though these were listed
for a 5th/6th lesson, I thought that they would be usable at all levels.

14. This web site http://www.fiveinarow.com/reststop/011502.html
<http://www.fiveinarow.com/reststop/011502.html>  is a Christian
website.  There are some very interesting questions to use for class
discussion at the end of the site. Worth going there.

15. Use the following website for the following Character ED lessons:
http://www.tec-coop.org/compassion.html
<http://www.tec-coop.org/compassion.html>=20

The standards listed below are Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks
Learning Standards

16. Further Study Activities based on Because of Winn-Dixie go here:
www.mstc.fayette.k12.ky.us/webquest/weather/
<http://www.mstc.fayette.k12.ky.us/webquest/weather/>   web site with a
curriculum connections to weather.=20

This site is dedicated mostly to lightning, but has some cool
information that could be helpful:  www.StrikingImages.com/kids.htm
<http://www.StrikingImages.com/kids.htm>  =20

Littmus Block was a soldier in the Civil War. Find out more about the
civil war at: www.civil-war.net/ <http://www.civil-war.net/>  and
www.civilwarinteractive.com/ <http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/>   =20

 Interested in dogs? Check out these sites:=20

dogs.about.com/mbody.htm <http://dogs.about.com/mbody.htm> =20

www.purina.com/dogs/default.asp <http://www.purina.com/dogs/default.asp>
www.akc.org/index.cfm <http://www.akc.org/index.cfm>  This is the
American Kennel Club official site!

17. This web site is from a librarian in Iowa:
http://www.christievilsack.org/book_club/because_of_winndixie.html
<http://www.christievilsack.org/book_club/because_of_winndixie.html>
There are very different discussion questions at the end. Usable for all
grades.

18. This is the website for TRUMPETBOOK CLUB.
http://www.trumpetclub.com/intermediate/activities/winn_act.htm
<http://www.trumpetclub.com/intermediate/activities/winn_act.htm>   It
is geared for the 4th =E2=80=93 6th grade but has some that is =
adjustable to the
primary grades.

19. Here are 2 different book talks that will help introduce the book:
http://nancykeane.com/booktalks/dicamillo_because.htm
<http://nancykeane.com/booktalks/dicamillo_because.htm>=20

20.  Here is a neat interview with Kate DiCamillo:
http://childrensbooks.about.com/library/weekly/aa040801a.htm

21. INTERESTING WEB SITE WITH INTERESTING QUESTIONS. WEBSITE  &
QUESTIONS WERE PREPARED BY A SIXTH GRADE CLASS:

http://www.sle.slv.k12.ca.us/~aweld/winndixie.html
<http://www.sle.slv.k12.ca.us/~aweld/winndixie.html>=20

22. This one has at least 2 discussion questions for each chapter. Plus
there are wrap-up things for the end=E2=80=94one that I remember is to =
write a
short story sequel.=20

23. http://www.fairfield.k12.ct.us/tomlinson/ctomlinson02/read.htm
<http://www.fairfield.k12.ct.us/tomlinson/ctomlinson02/read.htm>    for
a list of titles of  =E2=80=98if you enjoyed reading Winn-Dixie, they =
your will
enjoy__=E2=80=99

24. Perhaps older students could act out some of the scenes between Opal
and
her potential new friends and then the audience could suggest ways to
"re-write" the scene using dialogue that might more likely promote
friendships or point out what the characters in the book did correctly
to promote the building of their friendship. One of our 2nd grade
teachers, after reading the book, held a party like in the book.  My
copy (autographed when the unbelievably-wonderful Kate DiCamillo came to
our school) is at school and in it I wrote notes about the party.  But
basically we copied the friendship party in the book. They had (yellow,
orange and pink streamers, a guitarist playing, sandwiches, a big jar of
pickles (which, incidentally, Kate hates),
hard candy "Litmus lozenges", and lots of magazine cutout pictures of
dogs.  Oh, and a CD playing thunderstorm sounds. When the author came to
our school, one class decorated a bulletin board with drawings of dogs
... I can't remember what the captions were, but they had something to
do with friendship.=20

25.THIS CAME FROM A LIBRARIAN IN FLORIDA: You need to know that Winn
Dixie is a huge grocery chain in the South -based in Jacksonville and
there=E2=80=99s one in every town.  The author roomed with a fellow =
teacher of
mine at UF (Gators) and being from the north thought it was the funniest
name for a grocery store. Curricular connections -
character ed; responsibility (she agrees to take care of the dog)
morality (being kind to others regardless of looks, age or handicap)
making friends, setting priorities, conquering fear, life changing
choices aren't always monumental; they can be as simple as loving an
ugly dog and loving the people in your life. A quote from Kurt Vonnegut
comes to mind - "We're here to help each other through this, whatever it
is". My students loved this book - it won the Sunshine State book award
last year for grades 3-5.

26. To get this part, you will have to be a subscriber to BookBag. Go to
their website and follow the downloading and printing instructions.  Use
the teaching unit from the magazine Bookbag=E2=80=94the =
September/October issue.

26.  Lesson/curriculum connectors from the AIME Young Hoosier 4-6 Book
Committee. Please visit the AIME website:
http://www.ilfonline.org/Programs/YHBA/yhba.htm
<http://www.ilfonline.org/Programs/YHBA/yhba.htm>  for a list of the
books nominated. You can also order the activities booklet.=20

=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
This message originated from Richmond Community Schools, Richmond, =
Indiana.
The message and any attachments may be confidential or privileged and =
are intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee, or if =
this message has been addressed to you in error,
you are not authorized to read, copy or distribute this message or any =
attachments; and we ask that you please delete
it and notify the sender by return e-mail or by phone at 765-973-3300. =
Delivery of this message and any attachments to
any person other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended in any =
way to waive confidentiality or a privilege.
All personal messages express views only of the sender, which are not to =
be attributed to Richmond Community Schools,
and may not be copied or distributed without this statement.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D