Elizabeth,

I did the same thing at the Oklahoma School for the Blind.  I used Demco,
http://www.demco.com/ (look under Library--left-hand side of the website,
and then choose Archival Preservation Supplies) to order "acid-free boxes"
to preserve the materials. Then I also purchased some of the special sleeves
(acid free material) to protect individual documents (like the 1880 print
material or braille items).  I also bought some photo albums for the
pictures and put them into the albums and then into the acid-free boxes.

Your braille writers may need to be stored in larger boxes that will allow
them to remain free from humidity.  However, we had several covers and
braille writer cases that we stored our older writers in.  (You might also
check APH to see if they have any resources--cases, boxes, or ideas for
those machines.)

I would try to file the braille pages in a "file type" container that allows
for some space between the individual files, so that the braille isn't
crushed (even more than it may already be).  We tried to make sure that our
braille pages were in acid-free sheets or packages, and then put them in a
hanging-style file box.

I'm sure that there are several companies that offer these archival
materials (you might call one of the nearby museums or college libraries
that have a special collections  or archival department).  Other companies
that I can think of that might offer the same products are Highsmith, The
Library Store, Gaylord, etc.

 You are doing a great job in California trying to protect the past.   I
know because I also "found" things that were going to be tossed and kept
them.  As it turned out, because I had the original documents and photos, I
was able to locate the grand-daughter of the school's founder (who was then
in Alaska).  This grand-daughter had only heard "stories" about her
grandmother and grandfather--who were blind Cherokee Indian teachers who
started the school in Indian Territory in 1889--, but with the photographs,
we were able to piece together a great deal of history about the beginnings.
In addition, we were also able to share photos with one another and share
the experience with the entire school body.

It was a labor of love but it also taught me a lot about the history of our
school, as well as the value of documents that are over a century old.  I
did a lot of research on "library environments"--air conditioning, humidity,
environmental hazards. Your efforts will one day be rewarded by friends,
family, alumni, etc. who return and find their memories safely protected.

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Ft. Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net