Thanks to all who responded. You gave me a great list.
Gail
Year of Miss Agnes by Kirkpatrick Hill was used by my 3rd grades.
Try Owl in the Cedar Tree (can't remember author off hand) -- know it's
in paperback. Nice story about Navajo (?) boy earning the money to buy a
horse he loves.

Paul Pitts has written some chapter books that are probably similar in
reading level (or easier) than Scott O'Dell's.

Racing the Sun is about a Navajo Indian boy, raised in an urban
environment, learning to know his traditional grandfather and and his
culture.

Crossroads is about a boy whose mother is Navajo and his father white.
He and his mother, IIRC, were deserted by the father, and are now living
in a small community on the reservation.  He has to come to terms with
his mixed heritage and also learn to appreciate a girl who moves to his
town who is also "different."

Byrd Baylor's _One small blue bead_, _Hawk, you are my brother_,  and
several other titles.

_Sing Down the Rain_, by Judi Moreillon  -about the Tohono O'Othham
saguaro harvest

You might also find this Southwest Children's Literature website
helpful:
    http://www.u.arizona.edu/ic/swchildlit/pages/main1.html

Hi.  Our 3rd graders read The Courage of Sarah Noble by Dalgliesh and
Gloria Whelan's book, Next Spring an Oriole (there are sequels).

The Birchbark House by Louise Erdrich is a wonderful counterpoint to
the Little House books.  It may require some explanation, etc. for
3rd graders, as it begins with and has as its focus the smallpox
epidemic that decimated Indian communities.

Hi, Gail--look at Ken Thomasma's works--they are about the Nez Perce Indians
of Idaho as I recall.

Might be a bit higher than 3rd grade but still enjoyable for those students
who read at a higher level.Gloria Whelan's Shadow of the Wolf, Night of the
Full Moon and the first in the trilogy Next Spring an Oriole.  She also
wrote The Indian School.  All are available in paperback.

For folklore, our thirds enjoy The First Strawberries (Bruchac) , Owl Eyes
(Frieda Gates) and How Chipmunk Lost His Stripes (Bruchac).  Owl Eyes makes
for a great Readers Theater.

How about MORNING GIRL, or SEES BEHIND TREES

Gloria Whelan has several books that feature Native Americans and the
reading level is right.

The talking earth / Jean Craighead George.

The girl who loved wild horses / story and ill. by Paul Goble
--
Gail Shea Grainger
Librarian, Chesterfield School, Chesterfield, NH