I have been reading the comments about Scholastic Book Fair and finally had
to add my two cents.  I have been having Scholastic Fairs for 17 years now
(usually 2 a year) and I agree with almost every comment I have read. I have
seen a decline in service and product.  I have been reading all the different
percentages of profits with interest.  I guess my main complaint is that
Scholastic doesn't seem to listen to the customer.  I ask for specific things
in my fair.  I have a large Hispanic population so I ask for Spanish
titles........in the last 10 years I have had a case of books once....the
other times I get the same tired titles in a box---that I have to display on
a table.  I also have asked that they not send hard back books (these are out
of my kids price range) and I get boxes and boxes of books.  I have to admit
I do not bring tons of money ---but a good amount and my average profit is
around $600.  Which is very depressing compared to the amount of time and
effort we put into the fair.  I also had  a big problem on
restocking---sometimes it would take 2 days ----my school is about 30 minutes
from the Scholastic Warehouse.

This year my first fair was scheduled for fall---I had been very specific in
what I wanted. I had been to the Scholastic Warehouse 1/2 price sale and saw
the rows and rows of Spanish titles.....I demanded that I receive Spanish
books in a case....I also asked about a cash register.....why it seems they
have been loaning them out to fairs for years (funny I was never offered
one). I usually book the fair for 2 weeks and allow the classes to preview
and window shop before we begin selling.  A week into school (3 weeks before
my fair) I discovered that I had miscalculated when I had booked the fair and
needed to push the fair back a week so that I could sell at open house.  I
called and spoke with my rep----who was new. I was informed that because this
was a busy time they could do that but .........my fair might not be complete
or I might not be able to get reorders since I was changing on short
notice.......at this point I have to admit I got a little upset-----I did not
understand since I was already scheduled for the fair the week before I was
asking for it how it would change what I received....finally I said fine and
told myself I would deal with it. I also was asked to do the fair where you
send home the magazine order forms ---I said I did not want that. That
afternoon I receive the pamphlets to send home for the kids to do the
magazine things........

I must tell you here that last Spring I tried a new company.... Adventureland
Book Fairs. About three weeks before the fair I received my set up box---a
cardboard bank and letter to send home with each child ---to save for the
fair. I also received the flyers and money envelopes (for the kids to bring
their money in). I was very pleased-----the company came out and set up the
fair.....yes set it up. I received reorders the same day. I was loaned a cash
register (without asking).....they had Scholastic, Troll, all the books the
kids like.....some of the prices were lower. I had a whole case of Spanish
titles. When the fair was over the company came and packed up the fair and
was gone in about 30 minutes.  I made $1200 profit.

Now as I sat at my desk thinking about the Adventureland Fair compared to the
Scholastic Fair  I was imagining I would have ........I made a big
decision.....I called Adventureland. I told them I was in a jam and need a
bookfair for open house in three weeks (now mind you I had only had one fair
with this company) --at first they said well they were very busy but wait let
them check......they booked me a fair.  The rep asked did I need the same as
last year Spanish books, lots of discount books, novelties, cash
register....and asked was there anything else they could do.. I was thrilled.

I then did something I had never done before .....I called Scholastic and
asked for the rep.....she was out.....they gave me her answering machine----I
left a message----I needed to cancel my fair. I left my name and number and
asked her to call me. The rep called about an hour later and said she would
cancel the fair.

Two days later, while I was unpacking my cardboard banks from
Adventureland.....Scholastic called. It was a supervisor .....seems there was
a miscommunication they would be happy to do my fair.....at this point I was
honest and told her I was sorry but I had booked a fair with another
company.....she made several offers  but I refused......I explained that I
was really not pleased with the service I had been receiving...and listed my
complaints. I also pointed out that there were other companies out there. The
next day, I was in the middle of storytime, and the front office buzzed the
library ---seems two Scholastic Representatives were in the office wanting to
see me. I had my assistant tell the office to ask them to call and make an
appointment that I was with a class. They left me a very nice student
dictionary.  Two days later, I was leaving to go home and the UPS man came
in.  The principal stopped me ----it was a box for me from Scholastic---two
very nice patriotic books.

At my fall Adventureland Fair I made $1,300 profit.........yes I am smiling.

Today I received a call from my Scholastic Rep........the computer tech does
a Christmas book fair each year----to raise money for the computer lab----she
wanted to know if we still wanted to have the fair........I agreed and we
double checked the dates------I also reminded her of my special request for
Spanish books......she was very cooperative. I am hoping that the fair is
successful.

I guess what I am saying (sorry it was so long) is that sometimes you have to
say enough is enough. Scholastic is a very big company and I think they have
forgotten how they became successful---kids, libraries and schools.  My
advice would be if you are not happy with Scholastic---search around and see
what else is available in your area. I am glad I did.

Anna Russell
Librarian
Thompson Elem.
Aldine ISD