Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions for my request for "must have" books.  Here
are the responses I received:

************

Why don't you consider purchasing some graphic novels? I am sure you have some kids
who are very reluctant when it comes to reading. There's lots of stuff out there--
from Scooby Doo to the Nick shows to Bone. You just might hook them on reading.

****

I would look at the World Book/Time Almanac for Kids hardback and order a
"class set", maybe 25 or 30 copies that can be used if a class come in. As
I'm not at school I can't give you specific information how to access that,
but I recently received a catalog (although I already knew about these
Almanacs), and I think they even have lesson plans etc..

***

I think Wilson's publishes a CD that keeps you up to date
on must haves for a complete collection. I think it is
pricey, but since you have the $ you might consider
investing. this would also be a great back up if your
selections are ever called into question.
Do a google search to find Wilson Reference

***

My summer reads (with 2002 copyrights) that I plan to buy include:
Betsy Who Cried Wolf by Gail Carson Levine
Summersaults by Douglas Florian
The Frogs Wore Red Suspenders by Prelutsky
The Brave Little Seamstress by Mary Pope Osborne
Ice Cream by Jules Older
Liberty! by Alan Drummond
Let's Go Home: The Wonderful Things About a House by Rylant
Bugs Before Time by Cathy Camper
Tanya and the Red Shoes by Patricia Lee Gauch
Motorcycle Song by Diane Siebert

Gloria Rising by Ann Cameron
Loser by Jerry Spinelli
Over the Edge by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson

All my summer reading annotations are posted on my reading page
http://www.websterschools.org/classrooms/state_library/reading.html
My FAVORITES were Grandpa's Teeth by Rod Clement (for my mysteries unit), Let's Go
Home by Rylant (for illustrations); my absolute favorite in the intermediate
fiction category was Some Kind of Pride by Maria Testa. Also recommend Crossing the
Starlight Bridge by Alice Mead and Eli's Songs by Monte Killingsworth (not
necessarily all new ones).
Looking forward to your hit, since I'm sure there are great books I've missed!
***

HOW ABOUT SEQUELS TO RECENT NEW HITS? OLIVIA JOINS THE CIRCUS, FOR EXAMPLE. ALSO,
THERE IS A SEQUEL TO YOKO BY ROSEMARY WELLS.

***

I find that my students love the Eyewitness books.
They are all non-fiction - science & history related.
The pictures are top of the line and they are
informative as well. You may want to check this out
if you don't already carry them.

***

I received a $5000 donation and had a similar "problem." I decided to beef up my
nonfiction section with the following:

Complete high interest/low level biographies of the presidents (biographies are
becoming more common place in the lower el)

Complete "Eyewitness series" by DK Press (you can buy this through World Almanac
and it will set you back about $1200 right there). These are so popular with the
kids and they will bring you the book they like, point to the thumbnail pictures of
books in the series on the back cover and ask you if you have "that one." It helps
to have them all.

If you just buy these (both series are available through World Alamanc) and include
full processing, you've pretty much shot your budget. Add a lower level
encyclopedia series, a few English/other language dictionaries for languages that
are spoken in your area and you're done.

Good luck!

****

I would buy all the books related to September 11th (if you don't have them, of
course). I'm
not sure what age level your school serves, but you are sure to find something of
use from this
list.

Understanding September 11th by Mitch Frank

A Nation Challenged by New York Times

The Day the Sky Fell: A History of Terrorism By Milton Meltzer

Aint Gonna Study War No More: AThe Story of America's Peace Seekers--Updated version

New York's Bravest (Story of Moses Humphreys but dedicated to New York firefighters)

Fireboat By Maira Kalman

Firefighter Frank by Monica Wellington

Even Firefighters Hug Their Moms By Christine Kole Maclean

Bravemole By Lynne Jonell

The Hero's Trail By T.A. Barron

There's A Big, Beautiful World Out There By Nancy Carlson

On That Day

Let There Be Light: Poems and Prayers for Reparing the World By Jane Zalberi

This Place I Know: Poems of comfort by Georgia Heard

These books were mentioned in Nancy Gilson's column in the Columbus Dispatch. There
is also a
section featuring these books and others in this month's Booklinks.

So far I have only the Scholastic book, but I will order all.

***

Did you look at the Orbis Pictus winners? The NCTE site has a list of about
ten years of outstanding non-fiction for children. One of my professors, Dr.
Karen Smith, has been on the committee for years and always recommends that
we students check out the winners. I finally got around to it yesterday by
doing a Google search for "Orbis Pictus awards". The site that I went to had
some nice articles in PDF form, essentially an annotated bibliography for
every year.

***

Have you obtained any books about Sept 11th? The LA Times ran an article
today "For Kids, Books That Deal With Sept. 11". I tried to get it on their
website but they want money for it. The books they listed for elementary
children are: "And God Cries Too: A Kid's Book of Healing and Hope", by Marc
Gellman (Harper Collins) This is a why bad things happen to good people
book.
"Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey," by Maira Kalman
(Putnam),
"New York's Bravest", by Mary Pope Osborne (Knopf)
"9/11: A Book of Help" (Cricket Books). Children's authors offer ways to
digest tragedy.
"There's a Big, Beautiful World Out There," by Nancy Carlson (Viking)
"Bravemole" by Lynne Jonell (Putnam) parable of Sept 11.
"Even Firefighters Hug Their Moms," by Christine Kole MacLean (Dutton),
"September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right" by first graders at
the H. Byron Masterson Elementary School in Kennett, Mo., (Scholastic).
Essays and illustrations that express the children's faith in the future.

I have not read any of these books. I am a newbie myself only I don't have
a budget and won't have until the governor signs the state budget! I hadn't
thought of 9/11 books until I read this article.

****

Do you have the Grolier's Nature's Children? There are many in the
series and the kids love them. Also the Eyewitness books by Dorian
Kingsley or DK. Also Scholastic puts out a good Rhyming Dictionary. And
do you have any class sets of Thesaurus of different levels?

****

http://www.nancypolette.com/

Has great recommendations for elementary school books. I heard her speak and she is
terrific. She sees alot of new books and I have ordered from her recommended lists.
Happy spending. Extra money doesn't happen often.

***

I hope that you will take a look at my just-released book, THE SEA CHEST,
illustrated by the Harry Potter illustrator, Mary GrandPre, and starred in SLJ!

*******

I purchased many of the Eyewitness Books last year and they are a big hit. Dorling
Kindersley is the publisher. I believe Follett carries them.

Good Luck,

**************

Take a look at the website for Capitol Choices http://capitolchoices.org
Librarians from the metropolitan Washington DC area get together monthly to
talk about the year's latest books. I think you can make some good
selections here from the past few years. And by the way, you are welcome to
join us because you live so close by in Maryland. (See the page for the
invitation, directions and dates of meetings.)

***

I suggest you go to this Web site and then order some of the books from the lists.
http://www.iema-ia.org Look under Iowa Children's choice Award and Iowa Teen Award.