I've always done just the opposite (my sucessor may hate me!).  I encourage my
teachers to take out as many books as they want and they can keep them all year.
We have many young teachers who don't yet have extensive classroom libraries of
their home and our kids are from homes that are  book poor.  Most of my teachers
have 100+ books in their classroom library at any one time.  Some swap them out
every 9 weeks, others keep them longer.  I have lots of duplicate copies of the
most popular books.

The rule of thumb is "you can keep it as long as you want to, but if someone else
needs it, please surrender it gracefully".  Everyone (other than the one exception
we all have) is good about sharing - peer preasure does all the work for me.

 I've had teachers come from other schools who told me they never checked out books
for their classroom libraries because the librarian gave them such a hard time
regrading the one or two that turned up missing. And yes, some books do vanish but
not all that many. I chalk it up to the cost of doing business - it's more
important to get books to the kids than it is to account for each and every volume.

Guusje Moore
Librarian
Housman Elementary School
Houston TX