Thanks for all those who responded. The archives have previous hits on this
topic. This is what i heard this time:

At Xmas time I was looking for an inexpensive VCR for a college student.  I
discovered that one could get a pretty good VCR and a separate pretty good
DVD for the same price as a combined unit.  I figure the benefit of two
separate units is:  some companies may make one better than another, so you
have a choice of brands, if it matters to you.  The most important thing,
though, is that if one unit or the other breaks down, only the broken unit
needs to go to the shop or be replaced, instead of the whole (more
expensive and complex) thing.

We have purchased three Sanyo DVD-VCR combos for our school, and we are
really pleased with them.  We bought them at Wal-mart for about $180.

I bought a Sharp DV-NV70 from Quill or Office Depot (I forget) and it was
less than $300.00 and it is working out well.

Have you been to Costco in Burlington?  I was in there last week and saw
either a Sanyo or Panasonic.  My repair guy likes working on Panasonics,
but does like Sanyos as long as they aren't going to be moved from place
to place.  He also stated that as long as I was moving them, buy
industrial grade, not commercial.

Samsung (just bought one),  Go Video (radio shack - bought one for
Christmas)
Competitive prices.

Our school district has a bid on the GoVideo 4200.  I just received 11
units.  In brief testing, it seems sturdy, user-friendly, and reasonably
priced at $273.00.  You can probably find it for less on the market, but
this is a school bid and comes with a 1-year warranty and free shipping.

If you don't mind going refurbished here are a couple of sites.  At one
point RefurbDepot had some GoVideo units (DVD/VCR for $99.00).  I
purchased one and have had it several months with no problems.
Currently they have other makes available.
http://www.refurbdepot.com/freetext2.cfm
http://www.discountave.net/dvphilvcplay.html

We like the Go Video 5100 by sonicblue. Sony also makes fairly good one.
These both sell for $200 to $250. If you have more money try JVC. If you
have less try Samsung. This is what I found out by doing my own research in
purchasing one for my home. I only purchased it as a transitional unit
because I will in a few years go totally DVD. This is the trend of Hollywood
Video and BlockBuster as well.

You might have a look at this unit, we purchased a number for our video
sites a year ago.
Dual Deck VCR SR-VS2OU,JVC, NTSC MiniDV to S-VHS/VHS VCR, PC Connection for
Editing, Jog Shuttle on Deck, DV insert editing, DV Input/output. Records
and Plays MiniDV and SVHS Video Cassette formats/IEEE1394 FireWire In and
Out.

chuck finnigan LMS
Central School
Sedro Woolley, WA