In my opinion, the seniority thing stinks for various reasons.  It doesn't
give those who are new to the profession the opportunity to learn from the
professionals who are involved in the conference program (networking;
collaboration; presentations; etc.) and it can create a "stagnate base" from
which others gain information---if someone chooses to attend workshops or
presentations from which they do not bring back to the library ideas or new
concepts to share with others, then they may not be providing the library,
the staff, or even themselves, with the opportunity to learn and grow.

Luckily, the only comparisons that I have with this type of situation was
when I taught at a school for the blind.   Our major provider of materials--
the American Printing House for the Blind (major publisher of braille
materials) -- had annual meetings for those who were involved in the
program--purchasing agents, i.e., librarians,  braille production groups,
ex-officios.  My superintendent was the only one who was allowed to attend
from our school (he was an ex-officio) and spent much of the conference
times with his "buddies" from across the nation tossing back some drinks
rather than attending the meetings that dealt with the issues that I worked
with personally every day -- acquisitions of materials, choices of formats
and production of materials in braille and large print, etc.  I felt that if
ANYONE else who actually wanted to learn from the conferences could have
attended, we might have avoided much turmoil when we didn't understand what
was happening with our materials.

Hopefully, you will be able to attend ALA meetings if someone else wants to
bow out for a year.

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX