I received one of those ubiquitous chain emails this summer.  This one =
listed many "facts" about the good qualities of water vs. the bad =
qualities of Coca-Cola.  I checked its authenticity, and as usual =
determined it to be a hoax.  It occurred to me that this would make a =
great lesson plan for my high school students.  So - I thought I would =
share.  Here is what I have come up with so far:

BRIEF LESSON PLAN

ASK STUDENTS TO PROVE WHETHER THE FOLLOWING EMAIL I RECEIVED THIS SUMMER =
IS  REAL OR A HOAX?  (SEE FULL TEXT OF EMAIL AT THE BOTTOM)

Have students put in the following search - a phrase from the email:

=93T-bone steak in a bowl of Coca-Cola=94=20
Look on Google.  No reputable sites come up.  The nearest to being =
reputable is a natural remedy site, which might be biased towards selling =
natural products. =20

Or you can let them pick their own phrase from either the water or the =
coca-cola part of the email.  Some of the phrases bring up hoax busting =
site right away.  The t-bone steak phrase in google does not, so it takes =
more digging to find out if the information is correct.

Check the hoax sites =96 such as:

Snopes =96 Urban Legends Reference Page
http://www.snopes.com/

Hoax Busters
http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/

Scam Watch
http://www.scamwatch.com/

Urban Legends
http://www.urbanlegends.com/

Here is the text of the chain email I received:

"The water part is interesting but wait till you get to the Soda part.=20
We all know that water is important,=20
but I've never seen it written down like this before.

WATER

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
(Likely applies to half the world's population)

In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak
that it is often mistaken for hunger.

Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of
the dieters studied in a U-Washington study.

Lack of water (dehydration), is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could
significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term
memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer
screen or on a printed page.

Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon
cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and
one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

"Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?"

Now, for the Coca-Cola info--

In many states, the highway patrol carries two gallons of Soda in the =
truck
at all times to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coca-Cola and it will be gone in =
two days. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl =
and let
the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean.=20
The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a
crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of
Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the
rusted bolt for several minutes.

To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap
the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is
finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for =
sumptuous brown gravy.

To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy
clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola
will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your =
windshield.

For Your Info:

The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will
dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium
from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosi=
s.

To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use
the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.=

The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of =
their=20
trucks for about 20 years! Now the question is,
Would you like a glass of water or coke?

Coke and Pepsi have the same ingredient phosphoric acid."

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost"
 J.R.R. Tolkien
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)
Gananda Central School District