This is the second part of the hit on books about children of war:

I just finished reading "Out of War: true stories from the front lines
of the Children's Movement for Peace in Colombia." It was written by Sara
Cameron in cooperation with UNICEF. It's a book I would highly recommend.

There is a wonderful story about a Palestinian American girl who goes

back to visit her grandmother in Palestine.
Nye, Naomi Shihab. (1994). "Sitti's Secrets." New York: Four Winds
Press.

two books come to mind: The Cello of Mr. O. and I Dream Of Peace. I'm at
home so I can't help with authors. The Cello of Mr. O. I have in my Easy
section. It's a compelling story of children during an undisclosed war
which appears to be Bosnia and how they are calmed by the cello playing
of an elderly gentleman. The soldiers eventually destroy the cello but
the townspeople rise above it because they have each other. Very moving.
The other is in the nonfiction section and makes me cry. They are actual
drawings and writing of children living with war.
Here's an article that might help:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art3261.asp

I have read recently that the story of Faithful Elephants is not true. I may

have seen that here on lmnet so you might want to check on that. I was
surprised and had really loved the story. It still has impact, but I would
like to know more about that.

Rose Blanche by Roberto Innocenti
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr
The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss
Gleam and Glow by Eve Bunting

We just got a book order in and one of the books was a short stories

collection on Children of War called Shattered: Stories of Children and
War by Jennifer Armstrong. There was also another one a half dozen years
ago that had butterflies in the title and was a collection of poetry and
artwork of children who had lived in war zones that was very compelling.
Can't remember the title, sorry...

Here's what the Miami U subject page has for war:

http://www.lib.muohio.edu/pictbks/search/keywords.php?keyword=war

Jacob's Rescue - Malka Drescher
Rose Blanche (out-of-print) Roberto Innocenti - pic bk
Terrible Things by Eve Bunting - pic bk

here's
a book about the art and poetry of the children of the Teriesin death
camp of WWII, "I Never Saw Another Butterfly."  Very moving.  Good luck

 recently came across a book that sounds like what
you are looking for.  Rose Blanche, by Robeto Innocenti.  Beuatifully
illustrated about a German girl who takes food scraps to the fence of a
concentration camp for those starving inside.  She dies in the end.

Judith Schaffner
Librarian
Bronx H.S. of Science
Bronx, NY