Share: I found a really great skit on DVD to play after talking about
book care. I am a Rowan Atkinson fan, so I have _The Complete Bean_
3-DVD set of Mr. Bean. In the third DVD in "More Skits." "The
Library" is only nine minutes long and features Mr. Bean in an
archival or antiquities library (which I explain is like a book
museum). He is very quiet (or tries to be), wears white gloves,
admires the book he's chosen and proceeds to accidentally destroy it.
Most of the damage is done trying to cover up his first mistake and
trying not to get caught. The kids love it and oh, the appalled gasps
and anticipated scenarios voiced! With the right set-up, it is very
effective and very fun. Mr. Bean is particularly good with second
language kids because there is hardly any (if any) speech. Since that
skit is less than 10% of the entire work, I should think it would be
okay with copyright to make a temporary VCR copy if your school does
not have a DVD player.

I have just bought myself a digital projector, making the showing of
DVDs from my PowerBook along with PowerPoint presentations possible.
So, this has sparked my enthusiasm and my curiosity. I could buy or
rent DVDs and show specific scenes which would add to library
orientation, information literacy, etc. lessons. I am sure this must
fall into fair use. I would not be showing the whole work and it
would be part of the curriculum.

Target: What are some movies and scenes from those movies that would
add to such a lesson? We could branch out to other subjects for
lmc/classroom integration and collaboration, as well. For example in
my libraries right now, we are working on map skills. I'd like some
scenes which would relate to using maps, latitude and longitude,
compasses, globes, atlases, navigation, etc. They could be truly
instructive, or simply a way to grab attention, amuse and inspire.
Give it some thought and as you come up with movies/scenes, send the
bibliographical information to me along with a little synopsis. I
will post them to a page on my school website and send you all the
link.

I seem to remember a Black Adder show about the new dictionary. I
suspect it wouldn't be suitable for elementary school, but maybe part
of it would. I'll have to see if I can find it...

Home plus: I can set up a home theater, now, very cool, much nicer
than watching my 12" PowerBook screen. :^)
--
Barbara Adams Currier
K-6 Library Media Teacher

http://www.monet.k12.ca.us/kirschen