Opinions and observations:

I am / was also on the TLC listserv and the TLC databases this past year.
During the spring when the rumors came through the listserv that TLC would
not be funded, I posted a message regarding my surprise that the entire
project (and education) was not a top priority among our legislative body in
Austin.  I suggested online through TLC that we contact our legislators and
remind them that they needed to continue to fund this very important project
for students who had no access to quality resources, online databases, or
union catalogs.  I also suggested that we actively search (government
voting) records if the project failed, to determine who did not vote for
continual funding of this program and remember those names when it came time
for re-election.

My comments were never posted.  The list was monitored and I was admonished
by the moderator for suggesting that I "rally the librarians on the list
against the legislators".  (I never said to "attack them"-- just to remember
their voting record when it came time for re-election!)  My suggestions
never were mentioned but others made comments that suggested that we "try
really hard" to do something.... but then, nothing was actually done it
seems.

 The ability for my students to use the various online databases (16), the
Union catalog for interlibrary loans, and the online encyclopedia was
fabulous.  Because I am not originally from Texas (but from Oklahoma were a
similar project was available to libraries--school, public, university,
medical, etc.), when I first arrived at my school, I investigated and found
TLC available to us at the private school level.

I felt that the digital divide was being eliminated!  Although I was at a
private school in Texas where funding was available for a few databases, I
had just come from the public schools of Fort Worth ISD--- on the east
side--- where funding and the ability to have a full-time librarian was
"hit and miss."  I was happy to know that many of the students in Fort Worth
(and around Texas) had access to the free TLC databases and the resources
that were available through online access.

Now, except through the efforts of Thompson-Gale who is offering a wonderful
package of the same databases, there will be nothing for many schools.
Unfortunately, even at the reduced costs offered by Gale, many schools will
not be able to fund these databases and will take a big step backwards.

Regardless of the availability of a listserv that was created to help the
librarians learn, share, and discuss the TLC databases, we have failed to
pressure those who could have made a difference in retaining this program.
Many of us were told to stay quiet and watch. Was this as a result of
indifference and lack of conviction by the librarians -- or perhaps other
reasons at the state level that are not mentioned but certainly "stifled"
when spoken.

Our state legislature meets every two years which means that two years of
students will go through our public school systems in Texas without the
necessary online databases and materials that they once had access to
before.  By the time this project is presented and in place again, there
could be as many as four years worth of students who will miss the
opportunity to learn the skills that only the "privileged and wealthy" are
offered.  This places students in many districts (once again) in the cracks
of the digital divide.  Can they succeed?  Maybe.  Would they have done
better with these resources....let's check the reports by Keith Curry Lance
and others....or better yet, let's remember to share these reports with
those who are elected to serve us and our students.

If our students in Texas fall behind because many do not have the technology
skills necessary to compete, advance to higher education, or learn how to
utilize information, we have no one to blame but ourselves.  My disgust for
the failure to fund this project is deep.  I applaud the efforts of those
struggling states who manage to keep these types of programs, despite the
lack of funding in many other areas.  Their ability to "find the funds" to
educate and to decrease the "digital divide" for their students (and
citizens) is commendable.

Unfortunately, our students will flounder (again). I agree with Noe that we,
as Texas librarians, need to fight to regain the resources necessary for our
students to succeed.  This should have never happened....and we should never
forget!

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX