Hi:

This is my first posting to LM NET.  My background is in a community =
college library, and this is my first year as a high school librarian.

I just received a phone call from a parent.  She told me that her son, =
who is mentally disabled, is supposed to return a book about football to =
the library today.  I told her that he dropped by this morning and =
mentioned he'd be returning a book.  She said that he checked out this =
book repeatedly last year and read it over and over.  He read the book =
to the exclusion of doing any of his school work.  He lied about it and =
said that it had been assigned reading from a teacher.  They checked =
with the teacher and found out that it was not assigned reading.  She =
said they struggle at home to get him to do his assigned schoolwork.

She wants me to restrict his checkouts to material related to =
assignments from teachers.  She wants me to check with his teachers =
before I check out any material to him.  We are a small school (200-some =
students) so this is not an implausible request as a matter of =
logistics.  But what about recreational reading?

I would appreciate any and all advice about how to handle this =
situation.  This is my very first concerned parent.

By the way, in going through the files I have only been able to find a =
draft selection policy.  I'm still trying to find out if it was ever =
officially adopted.  And the previous librarian not only separated out =
her fiction categories, she has an historical fiction section, and a =
separate "Michener" section.  None of this is noted in the catalog.  I =
think I'm going to start integrating fiction ASAP.

Judy Crook, Librarian
Grand Valley High School
Parachute, Colorado =20
jcrook@garcoschools.org