A couple weeks ago, I asked for professional resources that make the LMS =
more effective and that provide help on the job.  Thanks to those who =
responded.  Here are the only 5 responses I received:

Just about any of the annotated bibliographic indices
for books.  I especially like What Do Children Read
Next? and Best Books for Elementary School Readers and Junior High =
Readers.

For starters, go to the Linworth Publishing site (www.linworth.com) and =
look at their list of titles!  Every one of their books is written by =
practicing school librarians, for school librarians, with the emphasis =
on practical solutions rather than idealistic theory.

I hope you'll consider the companion volumes Collaborating to Meet =
Standards: Teacher/Librarian Partnerships for K-6 and Collaborating to =
Meet Standards: Teacher/Librarian Partnerships for 7-12 (Linworth 2002), =
both by Toni Buzzeo, for your professional resources list. These books =
provide a history and rationale for collaboration with teachers as well =
as advice on proceeding and overcoming obstacles.  Following these meaty =
introductory chapters are fully detailed standards-based instructional =
units complete with assessments for adaptation or immediate use.

My Favorite is Power Tools by Joyce Valenza.  It has three parts--loose =
leaf
pages which can be copied by the purchaser, a CD-ROM with everything on =
it,
both Mac and IBM convertible, allowing you to insert your own school =
heading
or logo, or edit any thing else on any page, plus a softcover guide to =
the
whole thing. Joyce has put together every form you could image, sample
letters to teachers, library passes, slide shows for the Board or
administrators, note-taking sheets, graphic orgnaizers--tons of eveyday
stuff.  I hear a rumor she has a second book that may have different =
stuff,
or this stuff is updated.  The original was published by ALA.

Professional lists like this one & prof. journals, e.g. School Library =
Journal.

Patty Burnside
Graduate Student
Saginaw MI