> Date:    Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:47:18 -0600
> From:    "Jensen, Christina" <JensenC@DISTRICT112.ORG>
> Subject: TAR: Fair use guidelines & photos on Internet
>
> I know I should know the answer to this, but it's a snowy Monday =
> morning, my brain is still numb due to insufficient caffeine, and my =
> copyright resource manuals are at my other building. Is it permissible, =
> under fair use guidelines, for a student to incorporate a photograph =
> found on the Internet in a web page s/he is creating as a class project? =
> If so, what citing procedure would you suggest for fourth grade =
> students?

Hi Tina. The answer to this question depends on the copyright status of the photo
and how the photo will be used.

1. If the photo is protected by copyright (if there is no notice to the contrary,
this should be presumed), then the student may

a. Use it under typical fair use standards for educational material, if the web
page project will only be shared internally for a short time in his/her class.

b. If the web site will be posted publicly on the Internet, the student should
request permission from the web site for such use. Here is a form request that
students
may use:

"Dear (name)
I am a student/staff at (name of school).  I would like to use (describe the
material) in the following manner (describe how you will use the material). Do you
hold the
copyright on this material?  If you hold the copyright, may I have your permission
to use your material in this way?

If you grant permission to copy this material, I will properly reference your
ownership by (describe how).

I need to have your answer by (date)."

2. If the photo is in the public domain -- on a US government site or site with
public domain materials -- then any use, with proper citation would be appropriate.

For citation, I recommend name of photographer (if known), name of photo (if
provided), publication, date of publication, URL, and date of accessing the photo,
and the
statement "Used with permission," if this is the case.

Nancy

Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.

Center for Advanced Technology in Education
University of Oregon, College of Education
E-mail: nwillard@oregon.uoregon.edu

Responsible Netizen Institute
URL:http://responsiblenetizen.org