I received quite a few responses regarding favorite quotes about reading =
for 4th & 5th graders.  Thanks to all who helped me out!  Enjoy!

How about, "So many books, so little time!"

"'Tis the good reader that makes the good book." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Speaking personally, you can have my gun, but you'll take my book when =
you
pry my cold, dead fingers off of the binding."  Stephen King

V=EEta sine litter=EEs mors est.
(Life without literature is death).

It is one that General George Patton said...

If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking"  Change it =
to reading the same.  If you think about it, he's right.  If we all think =
alike, then something is wrong..

"The person who DOES NOT read is no better off than the person who CANNOT
read."

"A book is good company." Henry Ward Beecher

I have a few gathered together at: http://www.asla.nsw.edu.au/quotes.htm

Reading Quotes
http://www.richmond.k12.va.us/readamillion/readingquotes.htm

"Education is simply the soul of a society as it passes from=20
one generation to another."
  -  G. K. Chesterton

"The wise man reads both books and life itself."
-       Lin Yu-t'ang

"Educating a child is like lighting a candle.  The match=20
is struck and for a moment, the match and wick burn to-
gether. When the match is removed the candle glows alone." =20
  -  Source unknown.

"What greater gift can we offer the republic than to teach=20
and instruct our youth?"
-       Cicero

Change your thoughts and you change your world."=20
  -  Norman Vincent Peale=20

""IF STUDENTS ARE TO BE THE 'WORKERS' THEY ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE ENDOWED
LIBRARIES AND THE TIME TO USE THEM."   [Theodore Sizer]

"The children to whom we read simple stories may or may not=20
show gratitude, but each boon we give strengthens the pillars=20
of the world."=20
  -  Maya Angelou=20

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog it is =
very
dark."
Groucho Marx

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.
Just get people to stop reading them." -- Ray Bradbury

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free" Frederick Douglass

" The man who does not read good books has no advantage
over the man who can't read them."  It is attributed to Mark Twain.=20

 "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they=20
are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the=20
most patient of teachers."=20
-       Charles W. Eliot

"The instruction we find in books is like fire. We fetch it=20
from our neighbours, kindle it at home, communicate it to oth-
ers, and it becomes the property of all."
-       Francois Voltaire

"What is defeat? Nothing but education, nothing but the first step to
something better."
--Wendell Phillips

"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth=20
isn't."  -  Mark Twain

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight=20
inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to=20
bloom." =20
-       Ana=EFs Nin

"Walls cannot embrace a library.  It is more than a place, more than books
and films and records, more even than the people who make it work.
Basically a library is a gathering of ideas, of information - put in order
and shared.  And, the sharing is the whole point of a library."
                        Comptons Encyclopedia, 1986

"It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is=20
to use it well."   -  Rene Descartes

"The only man who never makes a mistake is the man=20
who never does anything."  - President Theodore Roosevelt

"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with
floaties and teach us how to swim." - Linton Weeks
(Washington Post article, 13 January 2001, p. C01)

"A LIBRARY IS...history's home and freedom's harbor, all the world's =
dreams
in one little room."---Michael Malone

"Wear the old coat and buy the new book." - Austin Phelps

"The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to=20
enter the house of his wisdom, but rather leads you to the=20
threshold of your mind." - Kahlil Gibran

 "Inside me, there's a  thin woman trying to get out.  ---------
 But, I can usually  shut the bitch up with chocolate."

Dreams are necessary to life - Anais Nin

"My library was dukedom large enough." - William Shakespeare

This quotation is attributed to Walter Cronkite:
"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that =
of
an ignorant nation."

"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books,=20
history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled,=20
thought and speculation at a standstill."
- Henry David Thoreau

Darcy Maxwell, LMC Director
Emerson Elementary School
2101 Campbell Rd.