Hello LMNetters,
I have had the luck of a small windfall to be spent on software.  I need =
to make a decision by Friday and am seeking your extensive expertise and =
guidance.

Next year, I would like my middle school students to produce a news =
program.  In anticipation, I have purchased a digital video camera (SONY =
DCR-TRV25).  Though my school is making the change from MAC's to PC's, I =
did put aside a MAC G3 with an OS 8.5.  I did get the MAC OS X software =
from Apple to download as it has the iMovie.  However, I am told that I =
need to add memory to the computer before switching to the OS X.  My =
school also has Avid Cinema.  From what I have observed, the iMovie is =
quite simple to use and the results impressive.  I do not have a CD-RW =
or DVD burner with this current set up.

My question: is there a digital video editing program for PC's =
comparable in ease and capabilities to the iMovie?  The digital camera =
came with a program called Pixella and I have seen workshops describing =
the ease of Pinnacle.  When I called for pricing, the salespeople tried =
to sell me  Adobe Premiere. The PC  I have already has a CD-RW, lots of =
memory, and Windows 98.  (I can upgrade to 2000 or XP if necessary).

As we  also have several VHS camcorders I was also wondering what you'd =
recommend in terms of a program for PC's that can take a VHS video and =
change it to digital so it can be edited with the computer  (It is my =
understanding that Avid Cinema does this with the MAC).

This monetary windfall is somewhat forcing me to make the PC vs. MAC =
decision earlier than I wanted.  My gut feeling is to switch to the PC =
set up as all the other media center equipment is PC; however, I am =
totally clueless in regards to the editing software that is easy yet =
powerful. =20

I would welcome and much appreciate any of your thoughts, experiences, =
and recommendations about PC vs. MAC and which editing software should I =
purchase if the PC set up is chosen.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and I will post a hit.

Sue Schiavetti
Illing Middle School
Manchester, CT 06040
sueshe4@attbi.com